Votes: 31 46.3%
  • Block Letter

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 13.4%

• Total voters

Lina3

HSC
The say that your handwriting is a reflection of your personality...and I would have to say that is accurate for me beacause I am quite indecisicive, even when it comes to my writing :( I can do both running writing and block letters, however I have been kind of using both for years. Now comming to my HSC, I just want to stick with one type. Thing is my running writing is faster and makes my hand hurt less, however the block writing is neater and more legible.

What handwriting style is better in your opinion, and which one do you use??

Last edited:

coonsmell

HSC
N/A
I write in block and it's messy. Pretty much a lose-lose since it's slow writing too...I don't really care much though.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I always recommend to students that the writing style which allows you to write faster is the best style.

In most cases, this is usually cursive but if you find that teachers do not find it legible (ask them if you're not sure), then I would recommend print.

Charlotte00

HSC
Block because I find running becomes a little illegible. I'm intending to try running though, to see how it goes.

enoilgam

HSC
Mine is more of a hybrid - it allows me to write as fast as possible but it is highly legible (even if it is messy).

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Hybrid. Both writing styles have their inefficiencies, just have to find a good mix.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Mine's a strange type of cursive that was taught in Victoria when I was in primary school.

I've never met another person who writes like I do.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC

I've posted it in that old handwriting thread Ann made a while back.

Note: My pen is shit - rarely gets used at work.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I significantly prefer block writing because it's much more legible than running writing in general (obviously this is a big generalisation). It's not that you CAN'T write nicely with running but I find it easier to read block writing.

The example above is very nice running writing.

egnaro315

HSC
english- running writing but for other subjects eg physics or chemistry I try to print since it is neater and I usually have more time.

Rawf

HSC
I do a bit of both.. mines mainly block but some letters I'd connect, not sure why but that's just what I'm used to and it's also a bit faster than all block :)

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
I find that my running writing is legible but it's really small- my friends usually write 1 page when I write half a page

Will this potentially impact a marker's perception of my paper?

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I find that my running writing is legible but it's really small- my friends usually write 1 page when I write half a page

Will this potentially impact a marker's perception of my paper?
You want to make things as easy for the marker as possible, so having larger writing will definitely help. And even though they shouldn't have a bias towards you based on your writing, as someone who has marked a fair few english essays, it's much easier for me to understand what's going on, and therefore give appropriate marks if I can read what's being written.

I find running writing to be faster (all those tiny spaces between block letters definitely add up time-wise over an exams that's several hours long). While I definitely endorse clear writing, teachers can often figure out what a word is if the first and last letters are clear.

Print for maths, always though. Otherwise my 2 and z can get easily confuzzled.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
You want to make things as easy for the marker as possible, so having larger writing will definitely help. And even though they shouldn't have a bias towards you based on your writing, as someone who has marked a fair few english essays, it's much easier for me to understand what's going on, and therefore give appropriate marks if I can read what's being written.
As in really small you can see it clearly but it just doesn't take up as much space as my friends' writing does.

Trouble is that sometimes smaller writing helps me as I have more space to write more things in short answer questions (for subjects like Mod History, Geography, Business) but for essays and long response it's different.

Here's an example of my handwriting... all of it is written at full pace, like I would do in exam conditions.

P1030268.jpg

Note the scale that I have included at the bottom...

Aysce

HSC
I have a hybrid of running writing and block writing. Dayum it's ugly.

Rawf

HSC
I have a hybrid of running writing and block writing. Dayum it's ugly.
I don't think you've seen dayum ugly until you've seen my handwriting loool. When I was cleaning out my draws a few months ago I found some year 9 and 10 books and man they're pretty neat and look good as, year 11 looks ok still. Year 12... wtf happened.

imbored2

HSC
I always recommend to students that the writing style which allows you to write faster is the best style.

In most cases, this is usually cursive but if you find that teachers do not find it legible (ask them if you're not sure), then I would recommend print.
+1, writing 1000+ words per 40 mins is a must for the HSC

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Outside of exam situations I will write in block style. Come exam time, I use a hybrid. It's not particularly neat nor messy, but it gets the job done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)