Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black square over Photoshop 21.2.0 taskbar icon running on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PhotoshopTaskbarIcon.JPG

Anyone else have a black square over the photoshop taskbar icon after updating to 20.2.0?  I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, unpinning from taskbar.  Photoshop works fine but looking at this black square is driving me nuts!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Photoshop 21.2.0 app icon appears with a black box covering it. 

Would you mind checking the steps mentioned in this article https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blank-icon-on-taskbar-windows-10/02340804-650b... and let us know if that helps?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Have you found a fix for this yet?

None of my other Adobe icons have the problem. On windows 10 as well.

PS_icon.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe changed the icon from PS 21.1.3 however the Icon is not Black on myWindows 10 Pro version 2004 which is the latest Windows Update just a few days old.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning JJMack, 
I had to same problem, and tried a multitude of fixes - but you are right; updating the PC with the latest Windows 10 Updates solved the issue for me along with several others such as the photoshop home screen not displaying at all and not allowing me to create a new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i have the same issue and it's infuriating. I have tried changing it in Windows 10 including the themes and colours and tried removing and adding the task bar icon but nothing fixes it. For many Windows users this is a major issue. The solution provided by the employee fails to understand that there's something showing just nothing useful, the icon location is not blank it's just a section of dark navy blue with a black box covering the remainder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agneti_0-1593433065464.png

Same here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite a few window uses have reported this so there is a problems somewhere. However, the problem source location  has not been pinpointed.  Photoshop 21.2 and window seem to be the starting  common point. However all window users using Photoshop 21.2 do not have the problem.  What else do the users with the problem have in common.  There are several windows version many device drivers and version of them where is the fault point located is there only one.  The Problem shows in Windows task bar but the source is unknown.   Where in Adobe's ballpark, Microsoft's Ballpark or some third party's ballpark.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, reinstalling Ps didn't help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is something with the local system. I run the same version of PS on two other computers and the icons are ok and visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The icon became visible when I turned on High contrast in Settings. While I do like the visibility of the PS icon with the high contrast, I didn't like the rest, so I turned it off. 

agneti_0-1593522388709.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quit a few Windows uses have reported they have this issue.  I do not believe the source of the problem has been found yet. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Driving me crazy. Just rebuilt an entirely new edit system on a HP Z4 Workstation, Windows 10 Pro. This so far has not been an upgrade. Tried everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue as well. Interestingly, if I unpin it from the taskbar, it looks fine. The moment I pin it, it has the black square over it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Clearing the icon cache fixed it. Search Google for 'windows 10 clear icon cache'. On Windows 10 there are 2 folders that have cache files, previous versions of windows only had one file so make sure the instructions include both folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave_CMC!!! You rock. Fixed it on the first try. I only had one cache file folder but deleting it fixed the issue and did not cause any other issues (so far) with anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoke too soon. it's back:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.. 

kdago8080_0-1595446114845.png

I have tried unpinning it when the program is open and the box goes away..but as soon as I pin it again, the box shows up. None of the fixes mentioned in this thread have given me a solid/permanent solution..

I got my IT department involved and noone can seem to figure it out..

Anyone else have another fix??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agneti_0-1595834658948.png

I changed the icon, it is an old fashion one, but at least I can see it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were some updates over the weekend and mine is showing just fine now... We will see how long this lasts... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the icon in Photoshop properties worked!  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. This worked for me! Thanks. I wrote the steps below in case anyone else needs it. 

1. Right click the photoshop icon in the taskbar.

2. Right click "Adobe Photoshop" in the popped up menu.

3. Click "Properties".

4. Click the bottom middle button named "Change Icon...".

5. Select the icon you want (I selected the one 14 to the right and 3 down).

6. Press "OK".

7. Press "Apply".

8. Press "OK".

9. Restart your computer.

It should be updated to the new logo and no longer with the black square. 

Additionally, changing the windows setting to "High Contrast" did eliminate the problem immediately but it returned when I changed the contrast back so I did not find that as a solution although it did work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem as well. 

What fixed it for me was:

1. Extract the icon from photoshop.exe and then resave it as an ico file.

2. Create a shortcut of photoshop.exe and click Properties > Change Icon and select the new ico file.

3. Right click the shortcut and select Pin to Taskbar.

Here is a download link to the repaired ico from step 1: http://unmessy.com/photoshop21.ico 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was genius, and worked perfectly. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't believe I didn't even think of this!! I've tried every other fix, and this worked right away. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines