• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After 2019 update, Photoshop icons blank and no longer associated with the program

Participant ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The headline gets to the point. Here's a screen shot of the issue. The Photoshop icon is now blank. In properties, where you can associate the program with the file type, changing it to Photoshop refuses to take. The "Pick an app" icon remains.

icon_bug.jpg

So now, every time I try to open a .psd file, I have to take the extra step of choosing what software I want to use to open the file.

I searched, and found this solution, but unfortunately there was no .psd option in that software (regardless of the instruction), so that was a no-go.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again BarbBinder! Thanks for the almost instant response.

And thanks for those solution. As mentioned in my post, Solution 1 didn't work., I had to google Solution 2, as I didn't know about that or how it worked. Unfortunately, that failed in the same way Solution 1 did - I could choose the associated software, but it wouldn't stick.

So now I'm going to uninstall and reinstall (with much grumbling I'll admit). I'll report back to you, and hopefully turn this thing green.

Edit: I uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop. The icons were still blank, however; this time when I went in and associated the icon with the software, the change stuck and the icons were fixed.

Thanks BarbBinder​!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  again, Mike!

I'm so glad you got it figured out. It sounds like it was an incomplete installation.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BarbBinder  wrote

It sounds like it was an incomplete installation.

This is a problem that has hit a lot of people, there have been at least thirty threads concerning this since CC2019 was released. The immediate trigger is uninstalling old versions after the new one is installed. This takes file associations with it, leaving them orphaned.

Mike should count himself lucky that it was solved by a simple reinstall. For most others it's necessary to edit the registry, and even that doesn't work for everybody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines