Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV - Ads on the Menu Bar

(Topic created on: 20-02-2019 11:45 PM)
MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options

Surely there must be a way to disable this? If I'd known I'd be getting this I'd have brought a different brand. It's annoying me to the point where I'm serious considering getting rid. Sounds dramatic but it feels invasive. 

226 REPLIES 226
HJD1
Pioneer
Options

When I opted out of the conditions the adverts did disappear but things like BBC iPlayer, Prime video, ITV Hub etc. gradually stopped working after a month. I was more annoyed that the BBC player stopped working as that is non commercial, however I suppose it does give information advertising BBC services which also seem to need an agreement to receive advertising. The voice control via the remote also stopped working. I think agreeing to Samsung voice software is also one of the boxes that has to be enabled.

As this stuff was one of the main reasons for buying a Smart TV I felt I had no choice but to allow Samsung's internet content. The BBC green button live program restart is one of the more useful functions I use.

I would be delighted if you can confirm that all your catchup services etc. are still working and will have another go at banishing the Samsung curse!

0 Likes
CrustyOldSod
First Poster
Options

If it's genuinely what you don't like to hear, then stop doing this kind of sh*tty thing!

It's a TV, not an ad delivery device!

If you want the ad revenue, give us the device free ...

HJD1
Pioneer
Options

I previously suggested Samsung should give an option, like Amazon does with their tablet devices, to pay less for a TV that shows adverts or pay a nominal fee to remove the adverts. At least then it would be our own decision whether to receive their ads!

Whattahek
Student
Options

I share the same opinion. I am very disappointed to samsung cuatomer privacy! I bought the tv and i am not able to remove netflix, prime and rakuten. I thought it is my tv and i amfree to choose what i want to have in it!!!

i addition to that samsung is bombing me with ads in the main menu. I have to all the time reprganize the manu because of appearing apps that i did not install. This will definitly be my last samsung tv 😞

HJD1
Pioneer
Options

Another problem will be that the apps Samsung force us to have installed will become obsolete. Unless Samsung continue to provide updates to their version of the apps then, when BBC/Netflix/Youtube/Prime etc. are changed as technology moves on then the apps have to be updated. I have devices where the iPlayer app no longer works because streams have changed and the BBC only support their own versions of iPlayer. It is up to device manufacturers to support the apps they have installed as part of the device firmware/factory settings. I very much doubt Samsung will be interested in providing updates for their 10 year old TVs once apps start misbehaving. They only want to make money from selling new stuff! Samsung are not alone in this. I have an older LG tv where most apps no longer work at all, though the tv itself is still fine. I refuse to scrap a perfectly good Freeview tv spoilt by having all these useless apps in the menu! We just need to be able to uninstall the apps. Time it was made a legal requirement for manufacturers allow this.  

Pouryashamsi
Explorer
Options

Which is why I always buy Sony for my home (this Samsung was for the gym area of my company). 
I don’t watch TV on a TV at home (I use tablets). So I never updated that Sony. I bought that in 2015 or 14. That was when 3d 4k TVs had just come out and I paid a lot for it back then. So it’s still a fine TV except that it doesn’t support HDR coloring. 
All the apps are updated and are working.

Unlike Samsung, Sony cares. Korean companies are similar to Chinese companies. Low quality products. 

HJD1
Pioneer
Options

Handy to know. Thank you. For some reason I've never owned a Sony TV in spite of having looked at them many times. I think they always seem a bit more expensive than others. Sounds like value for money though!

0 Likes
HJD1
Pioneer
Options

Today I keep getting a message banner across the top of the screen telling me Samsung has changed its privacy terms and I need to view their new terms and conditions! Get lost.

All I wanted to do is watch a tv program in peace. Why should I have to abandon watching just to read some legalese they've recently changed/made up. Samsung can stick their terms and conditions up a socket of their choice. They certainly won't be selling any more stuff to anyone in this household.

MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options
I had the same thing...ignored it twice, not seen it since. Upgrading next year...it definitely won't be a Samsung.
0 Likes
toca
Journeyman
Options

It's not just Samsung.  I have an LG and they have ads.  Visio, Hisense, TCL, Panasonic do too.  And one of the last hold outs, Sony now has them.  You can google just about any TV manufacturer with "intrusive ads" and you'll get a search return of "how to remove and block ads".  It's not optimal, but this is why we have cheaper 4k TV's! 

The most effective way to block unwanted ad traffic on your network is to get a pi-hole.