Probable Spit XIV canopy version?

Zoltann

Soooo ordered the whole lot, this team deserves it and so do I  ?

Anyway, any educated guess if the Spit XIV will (also) be  the bubble canopy variant?

As it was introduced later, that would probably fit BoBP better from timeframe, but still...

Thanks.

Edited by Zoltann

43 minutes ago, Zoltann said:

Anyway, any educated guess if the Spit XIV will (also) be  the bubble canopy variant?

As it was introduced later, that would probably fit BoBP better from timeframe, but still...

Thanks.

I would say it is unlikely, because the bubble tops were AFAIK introduced Feb./March 1945. So you will most likely see the XIV in this shape:

profile11.jpg

Edited by sevenless
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

High-back, ‘44 variant with maybe clipped-wing (but who knows?).

Give its service in 83 Group during the BoBp timeframe, maybe the rare late marks. But I suspect the earlier 2nd gen airframe (ie Mk. VIII with a Griffon) would be the priority.

[APAF]VR_Spartan85
3 hours ago, sevenless said:

I would say it is unlikely, because the bubble tops were AFAIK introduced Feb./March 1945. So you will most likely see the XIV in this shape:

profile11.jpg

This spit has a weird droopy spinner...  or am I seeing things

where is that guy who was posting pictures of it on daily bases, he must be pleased with how things ended up :)

hope they get all data neccesary to make it in what ever version

25 minutes ago, spartan85 said:

True. That artist has the angle slightly overdone. Here´s another one by another artist:

41 sqd Spit XIV.jpg

spit21.jpg

Edited by sevenless
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Zoltann said:

Thanks.

As others have stated we'll be getting the high back version, bubble top Mk.XIVs didn't appear until right at the end of the war. More interesting I think is what load out options we might get, historically the Mk.XIV only really used drop tanks on operations, but it was able to carry the same bomb loads as the IX.

34 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

where is that guy who was posting pictures of it on daily bases, he must be pleased with how things ended up :)

hope they get all data neccesary to make it in what ever version

I'm sure they'll be fine with getting the data for Mk.XIV, there's also plenty of examples around for them to study as well. :)

38 minutes ago, spartan85 said:

That got me curious so I had a quick look at various photos. I didn't find one that was dead side on but from what I could see the spinner wasn't droopy per se but I suspect the way the curve of the spinner blends into the curve of the upper cowling but not the lower cowling gives the impression it's droopy.

TheBlackPenguin

The Spit really needed drop tanks lol. Other than that, really forward to giving this lady a twirl :). Spoilt for a bit of choice though, Mossie and Tiffy want their share lol.

48 minutes ago, HBPencil said:

That got me curious so I had a quick look at various photos. I didn't find one that was dead side on but from what I could see the spinner wasn't droopy per se but I suspect the way the curve of the spinner blends into the curve of the upper cowling but not the lower cowling gives the impression it's droopy.

The Griffon had a slightly negative thrust line, that altered the contours of the forward cowling and spinner compared with the Merlin powered Spitfires: the subtleties of the curves and the longer, larger diameter spinner can be slightly overcooked by some aviation artists.

VS_Spitfire_FR.XIV_MV268_JE-J_(G-SPIT)_(7143115349).jpg

Edited by NZTyphoon
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, spartan85 said:

It's a saaaad Spitfire. The basset hound of Spitfires.

4 hours ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

It's a saaaad Spitfire. The basset hound of Spitfires.

It’s a bas-ass Spitfire. The RoC is up there with the K-4.

Unfortunately, no clipped wings on that model so it will lose on roll to the IXE.

7 hours ago, sevenless said:

True. That artist has the angle slightly overdone. Here´s another one by another artist:

41 sqd Spit XIV.jpg

spit21.jpg

Thanks for filling me in all, and especially Sevenless for the Spitp*rn, great pic!

Edited by Zoltann

5 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Unfortunately, no clipped wings on that model so it will lose on roll to the IXE.

Errr... I'd check your sources on that.

The XIV was equipped with the universal wing; exactly the same as that on the V/IX/VIII and therefore modifiable in exactly the same way, including the ability to clip wings.

8 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Errr... I'd check your sources on that.

The XIV was equipped with the universal wing; exactly the same as that on the V/IX/VIII and therefore modifiable in exactly the same way, including the ability to clip wings.

Find me an operational model in summer ‘44 XIV with clipped wings. Then check your sources ?

1 minute ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Find me an operational model in summer ‘44 XIV with clipped wings. Then check your sources ?

That's a different argument, and one I'd tend to agree with; indeed I've never seen a Mk.IX during the summer of 1944 with clipped wings either. Nonetheless it doesn't seem to have stopped them from moving to clipped as the war progressed. 

My point is that the ability to have clipped wings is inherent to the wing design; whether or not Squadrons/pilots chose or were directed to have full or clipped wings is a different matter.

Your original statement made it sound like the Mk.XIV couldn't have clipped wings, not that largely it shouldn't.

From that Wikipedia page in the MK XIV section

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_(Griffon-powered_variants)

One problem which did arise in service was localised skin wrinkling on the wings and fuselage at load attachment points; although Supermarine advised that the Mk XIVs had not been seriously weakened, nor were they on the point of failure, the RAF issued instructions in early 1945 that all F and FR Mk XIVs were to be refitted with clipped wings.[34]

Even if it does mean you won’t have a clipped wing version for Normandie you can always add one for Bodenplatte 

Edited by PB0_Foxy

14 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

It is a collector plane so maybe they'll make it in two versions and sell separate as they did with yak9/9T.

I don't know differeces between two beside teardrop canopy, clipped wings and cutback fuselage.

2 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

I don't know differeces between two beside teardrop canopy, clipped wings and cutback fuselage.

Time and money, dude.

2 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

That's a different argument, and one I'd tend to agree with; indeed I've never seen a Mk.IX during the summer of 1944 with clipped wings either. Nonetheless it doesn't seem to have stopped them from moving to clipped as the war progressed. 

My point is that the ability to have clipped wings is inherent to the wing design; whether or not Squadrons/pilots chose or were directed to have full or clipped wings is a different matter.

Your original statement made it sound like the Mk.XIV couldn't have clipped wings, not that largely it shouldn't.

Well:

a) If this were a XIV from summer ‘44 then it should not have clipped wings as there aircraft did not (though I would love it if they did)

b) I think (but might be wrong) that the on / off wing-tips were not integrated at this time

c) A XIV E would be amazing, but needs a different model which is not BoN but is last months of BoBp

d) please give me everything and all of the above!

a) Agree!

b) they were a feature of the universal wing which was introduced on the Mk.Vc and used on all fighter variants until the Mk XVIII.

c) the E refers only to the armament which could be fitted at any time to the Universal Wing - the low back Spitfire has no distinguishing suffix to differentiate it from the high back. However, you are broadly correct, we do not see either the E type armament of low-back on the Mk.XIV until the late winter of 44/45

d) Agree!

18 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

b) they were a feature of the universal wing which was introduced on the Mk.Vc and used on all fighter variants until the Mk XVIII.

c) the E refers only to the armament which could be fitted at any time to the Universal Wing - the low back Spitfire has no distinguishing suffix to differentiate it from the high back. However, you are broadly correct, we do not see either the E type armament of low-back on the Mk.XIV until the late winter of 44/45

b) I thought this was later, but I could be totally wrong

c) Yep, the LF XIVE seems to have been a vague appellation to the mark. Not sure how many saw service, but would be lovely if it were added as a BoBp mod for the XIV

The XIV is fantastic addition, both for BoN and 122 Wing over the Rhein.

5 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

a) Agree!

d) Agree!

In fact, the majority of Spitfire F. & F.R Mk XIVs were built with .50s, starting in April 1944: this from...

Tiffievibe005-001.thumb.jpg.8a065af74fbf77ae646ff66b33cc026a.jpg

Tiffievibe004-001a.jpg

Tiffievibe004-002.jpg