I just watched Ring 0

Options

Ring 0 or otherwise known as Ring 0 Birthday, is a prequel to Ringu which details Sadako's final days leading up to her death. I have so many questions to the devs since her lore in game basically states nothing and is so ambiguous.

(Spoiler warnings ahead)

In the movie we see a lot of how Sadako was as a person. She was shy, she was very kind, and she had dreams to be an actress. She accidentally could kill people if she wished harm on them but we learn that it's possibly not even her own doing but potentially an outside force that she accidentally created when she was only 8 and that Sadako herself isn't very vengeful or hateful at all (Until the ending for good reason).

Another thing is Sadako is a very normal height. In the game shes portrayed as a child almost yet in the film she's just an average teenager/young adult. I feel like they really dropped the ball a bit with Sadako's lore on DBD as they also improperly state she was lured to the well when she actually crawled towards it trying to escape her 'father' who was murdering her for having powers.

Ringu chapter feels weird in some regards lore and power wise is my point, but I will say they nailed Sadako's face pretty well

Comments

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 567
    edited November 2022
    Options

The lore for sadako in game had liberties taken - lightly based on the book, lightly based on the movie and by extension, the remake. I just want to note that ring 0 itself was based on none of the original three books by koji - it was taken from a short story in a collection of things related to the books, but changed things. But even then, I really disliked the story itself and the adaptation was also not very.. faithful or anything either? Sorry for the jumbled thoughts, but thought that may shed some light on why it's kinda weird.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,523
    Options

Thought Sadako was based on the book, not the movie.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,097
    Options

Just have to say-- I love that actress. I ran into her when Gokusen was released and boy was I starstruck. Dare I look at some of her VHS tapes tonight? Hmm? Gaga gaga.

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,468
    edited November 2022
    Options

I'm not so sure about that, despite BHVR originally claiming that the chapter is inspired by both the first Ringu movie and the original Novel, there is actually nothing within the chapter itself that has anything connected to any of the books or the remakes at all.

Sadako's ultra rare skin is from Ringu 1, the addons are a mixture of objects from Ringu 1 & 2 only, the first half of Sadako's in-game lore is merely a summarization of the events of both Sadako's past life before ending up in the well and when she began to curse the tape to the extend of what was told and learned in Ringu 1 without being too heavy on the details, the other half being events bhvr created themselves to give a reason as to how Sadako ended up in the Fog.

If the chapter does actually contain anything related to the books, then i have yet to find it.

• DashMonsta008XV
    DashMonsta008XV Member Posts: 611
    Options
  • HamsterEnjoyer
    HamsterEnjoyer Member Posts: 547
    Options

I did. If you've watched Ringu then you'll enjoy this since it sheds a lot of light on things related to Sadako herself. It gives Carrie vibes

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

They said that but they didn't actually do it based on the novelization at all. Yoichi is Reiko's son both of which only appear in the movies. Yoichi's perks have references to the first and second film along with direct scenes from the movies (his perk parental guidance)

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

Well AFAIK, the book doesn't even mention her being short or anything either and mentions a lot more about her powers which Is another thing I wanted to mention was how lack luster her power actually is. But I don't think this chapter is based on the novel at all as Yoichi, Sadako's add ons, Sadako's design, and the perks are all nods or pictures from the film series.

• DashMonsta008XV
    DashMonsta008XV Member Posts: 611
    Options

I watched Ringu when, I learned it was coming to Dead by Daylight.First time sitting through an entire subtitle genre.

And yes I did find the first movie great, I tried watching the second one last night I need a new setup my TV is to high my chair is to low 😑 so I was kinda just uncomfortable.Intersting Yoichi is a psychic also which makes him the perfect combatant for Sadako.No I did not read his lore , because I'm one of those people who gets around to it : D

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 567
    Options

I haven't read the lore for sadako since she came out but I recognized things from the novel. Let me get back to you when I can re-read it.

Same applies to you but, I mean, the book she is also intersex and the narrator goes on a couple pages rant about it and imho it's quite disgusting and full of hate. I don't think it aged particularly well and I'm really glad the films don't make reference to it.

But like I said, they took liberties with it with the lore, it's all over the place, but so is the franchise itself and it gets really really muddied because most of the movies are either standalone outside of the novels (ie Ring 2, the ju-on crossover, haven't watched sadako dx yet but I'm pretty sure that isn't too) or just very loosely based on the books. The only film in the franchise where she is this short would honestly be the remake, hence why I mentioned that. That being said, the novels share a lot of imagery and stuff with the movie(s), so I mean both can be true that it is based off both.