Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I thought I saw an iMac in a fancy NYC apartment on a reality show, but after calling Apple nobody in customer service could remember or knew of a model that had that.... then today I saw some at an Apple Special Event that Steve Jobs was giving a talk at (downloaded it from iTunes, it's from 2008) and there were some iMac's there that look like what you can buy now but with black (plastic?) backings....

Anyone know what this is? If it was a special or high-end model?

Thanks in advance!

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I thought I saw an iMac in a fancy NYC apartment on a reality show, but after calling Apple nobody in customer service could remember or knew of a model that had that.... then today I saw some at an Apple Special Event that Steve Jobs was giving a talk at (downloaded it from iTunes, it's from 2008) and there were some iMac's there that look like what you can buy now but with black (plastic?) backings....

Anyone know what this is? If it was a special or high-end model?

Thanks in advance!

That's easy, from 2007 to early 2009 the 20" & 24" iMacs all had black backs. When Apple changed to the 21.5 & 27" models they changed to an aluminum backing.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
That's easy, from 2007 to early 2009 the 20" & 24" iMacs all had black backs. When Apple changed to the 21.5 & 27" models they changed to an aluminum backing.

Thanks! I dont know why, but 2 different Apple reps had no idea... they must have started with Macs after the change. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. This seems to be one of the most helpful forums I've used online, there's something about Mac users.... they are generally quite nice people! :):apple:

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Thanks! I dont know why, but 2 different Apple reps had no idea... they must have started with Macs after the change. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. This seems to be one of the most helpful forums I've used online, there's something about Mac users.... they are generally quite nice people! :):apple:

Your welcome.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Not at home but the 2007 20" in my spare bedroom is like that
images.jpeg

Aluminum chin and outer frame and stand. Black plastic back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.