The Amazing Spider-Man The case against Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker

tdub154420

Civilian
Reaction score
I am and have been my whole life a Spider fan and a collector of Spider-Man comics. Amazing Spider-Man was the first comic book I ever read and to this day it remains my favorite comic series. When I saw Raimi's Spider-Man it absolutely blew my mind and it captivated me. Like many other's I was just as engrossed with Spider-Man 2 and although some of the sloppy CG effects bothered me, I thought it was an achievement and a wonderful representation of Spider-Man. Then Spider-Man 3 came out. It wasn't just a bad movie, it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I never was comfortable with how Tobey looked as Peter Parker, and it was hard to believe him as Spider-Man, but he really did embody the essance of Peter Parker so I was a big fan. But with Spider-Man 3's terrible everything, Tobey's wonderful performance as Peter went wayward as well along with the hopes of so many fans. So they scrapped Raimi and the cast and decided to reboot.

posters.jpg

Flash forward and we now have the Amazing Spider-Man starring Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spider-Man. I was incredibly psyched about this because not only does he look the part, but he seemed to have the smarts, wit, and snark about him that Spider-Man needed. As I watched the movie I noticed so many familiar motifs from the Raimi movie- Peter uses photography to harmlessly stock his love interest, he embarrasses the school bully, he sees flies in slow motion, he catches things that fall in a perfect stack, he unintentionally makes a mess of his room with his powers, he has a blast running on rooftops, he blows off helping his uncle with a household chore, he happens to witness his uncle's death, the villain is a man that Peter trusted who experiments on himself with an untested technology only to drift into power-hungry schizophrenia, he saves people who have been thrown from a bridge by the villain, and ultimately the working class citizens of New York come to Spider-Man's aid to help him overcome the odds. All of these things aren't elements of Spider-Man's origin in the comic books, rather they are elements of Raimi's film. It's hard to say that these are tip of the hats when they happened so frequently, its almost as if the Amazing Spider-Man's source material was Raimi's film and not the comic. The one thing that didn't draw from the Raimi film were the character's and their development. Uncle Ben went from a wise elder concerned about the disconnect with his nephew to a bumbling blue collar simpleton afraid of his nephew's angst and intellect. And although Aunt May is traditionally a frail old woman who is constantly concerned for her nephews well-being, her defining characteristic is her smothering love for Peter. In the Amazing Spider-Man Aunt May was strictly a frantic mess that only exhibited panic and did not display any other emotion. And then there's Peter. Peter went from shy, reserved and mild mannered to a combination of brash, angst filled and narcissistic.

Spider-Man_actors.jpg

Now these changes are not without their merit, although ASM ripped off all of Raimi's motifs it would be borderline plagiarism if the character's weren't altered as well. But this goes beyond this movie being a reboot, this movie is a representation of characters and a mythos that goes much further back than 2002. Heck the name of the movie is the "Amazing Spider-Man". This is the movie that is supposed to draw even more from the original comics. This is the movie line that prides itself in bringing the webshooters into the mix. But instead I think it in translating the story into modern times and it fails in understanding the essence of the characters. This inherent misunderstanding is apparent all the way from the writers, to the director Marc Webb, and all the way to the man behind the mask, Andrew Garfield. More and more I feel like they don't quite grasp the essence of the Spider-Man storyline, and Andrew Garfield in particular just doesn't understand Peter Parker's character and development.

amazingfspiderman4ditko535.jpg

I think it was apparent when Andrew Garfield started making statements about his character beyond the screen. I don't want this to come off wrong, but when Andrew Garfield stated that he thought Peter Parker could be gay- it communicated a disconnect in his understanding of the character and the character's storyline. Sexual orientation is something that doesn't define a person, so its a valid argument that any one character's orientation could be flexible. But as romance fits into Peter's storyark, it definitely makes an impact on who he is. He was a beta male that was always at odds with alpha males like Flash Thompson, particularly in the pursuit of women. His role as a hero involves him switching from beta male to alpha male in a way that complicates his pursuit of his romantic loves who operate within the norms of traditional hetero-romance. This aspect of his storyline is something that deeply impacts how his character develops and he would not be the same without it. Peter Parker knew that he had the power to impress, he had the power to be the alpha male and pursue his love the same way the alpha males did, but Peter suppressed this for the sake of his dual identity. This duality as it operated within the culture of society's perceptions of romance often was the source of many of Peter's character defining conflicts. Peter Parker's character would not be the same if he had not experienced a struggle with other alpha males in pursuit of his love interests- it really has defined who he was. For Peter to be gay and have the same storyline and character development, he would have to operate in a much more progressive society that had very fluid gender roles, because its these gender roles that dictated much of Peter's actions. I do think that a story similar to Spider-Man's very well could exist in which this were the case and with popular characters like Northstar and Batwoman having openly gay romances, its not far off that an iteration of Spider-Man like this could exist.

flashthompson01.jpg

After Garfield made that statement, although it was an interesting interpretation, I mostly got the feeling that the miscommunication of Peter's character went beyond the writing and directing that Garfield himself just really didn't understand the character of Peter Parker. Peter is the humble weakling who secretly has all the power. Its a familiar archetype that's not that revolutionary. The unique thing about Peter's story is that when he is Spider-Man he slips out of his skin into something different entirely. He is dashing and romantic, he tailors his smarts into wit and sarcasm, he stands up for the little guy and he's not afraid of confrontation. Does Andrew Garfield portray these qualities as Spider-Man? Yes. Maybe better than Tobey. But the problem is that these aren't the qualities that define Spider-Man, they just are part of the flash that comes with the suit. Spider-Man is truly defined by who he is underneath. (sorry Batman, but in this case its who he is underneath that defines him). Peter Parker is the guy that gets picked on and can't pick back, he's the guy who can't get the girl and watches all the other guys get girls, Peter Parker is the guy that shrinks his personality and bites his tongue, he is the guy that takes abuse from his boss, his peers, and the authorities quietly, he is humble and not proud, he is slow to anger but confident and wise. Peter Parker above all puts his family above all else. He lives and dies buy his Aunt May and her interest is always on the top of his priority list.

026.jpg

That's what Garfield gets wrong. The brash wise cracking arrogant alter ego of Peter Parker is what he made Peter Parker. Garfield shows off whenever possible, is never humble, always confrontational and displays characteristics of an alpha male. Above all though, he cares little for his Aunt May. Heck he didn't even really care for his Uncle Ben. Garfield portrayed Peter Parker as a teen tormented by angst, and not by isolation. His character was sometimes shy, but more often he was outspoken. He was very liberal with his powers, and extremely narcissistic. He started fights with bullies (not the other way around), he showed off his powers, he publicly shamed cops, got in dinner conversation arguments with girlfriends parents, frequently lied (to get on the oscorp tour, lied about his father's equation), broke rules, and showed little to no genuine affection for his parent figures. Its an interesting study on a modern teenager with super powers, but its nothing close to anything I've ever seen in the Peter Parker storyline.

MayParkerAF15.jpg

Maybe it comes down to the fact that he plays a good Spider-Man, but a bad Peter Parker. The opposite could be argued for Tobey Maguire. I thought that all the things that embodied Peter Parker, Tobey portrayed wonderfully, but at the same time he couldn't channel his "alpha male" into his role as Spider-Man in the suit. But shouldn't the perfect actor for Spider-Man be adequately play both? I feel like audiences were so hungry for a Spider-Man that was cocky and showy that they forgot what really makes Spider-Man...Spider-Man. Which, like any hero, is the man behind the mask.

1d073-steve-ditko-amazing-spider-man-21.png

And Peter Parker, Andrew Garfield is not.

tl;dr

But with Spider-Man 3's terrible everything, Tobey's wonderful performance as Peter went wayward as well along with the hopes of so many fans. So they scrapped Raimi and the cast and decided to reboot.

The reason Spider-Man 4 was scrapped wasn't because fans were disappointed in Spider-Man 3 (which honestly wasn't that bad), but because Raimi wanted more time to direct it, and Sony wanted him to make a movie by 2011.

So they fired him, and made this reboot in 2012, which is the same year Spider-Man 4 would have come out if they didn't fire Raimi.

Would Spider-Man 4 have made up for Spider-Man 3? I don't know. The film would have a big loss with James Franco out of the picture, and while I think the script would have been heavily tweaked before the filming, it sounded... pretty bad.

Sam Raimi said that he went through four iterations of the SM4 script and hated all of them.

Tdub, I think you need to watch Amazing Spider-Man again.

Nice write-up. Love seeing panels posted on here.

I agree, Tobey had goodness at his core and it's lacking from Andrew's portrayal. I kind of think that in an attempt to rectify the lack of wit in the original take, the film-makers went too far in the opposite direction. Maybe ASM2 will give Garfield a chance to show more heart.

I agree, Tobey had goodness at his core and it's lacking from Andrew's portrayal. I kind of think that in an attempt to rectify the lack of wit in the original take, the film-makers went too far in the opposite direction. Maybe ASM2 will give Garfield a chance to show more heart.

"Okay... Laundry Sheriff!"

Yeah. No.

If Spider-Man 3 is one of the worst movies you've ever seen, you need to watch more movies.

The Amazing Spider-Man franchise isn't just an adaption of the Amazing Spider-Man comic or the start of the Amazing Spider-Man comic.

It takes parts from all the different comics that have featured Peter Parker and the other characters and forms a story and characterisation around them with some own ideas thrown in too.

I see it more as an Ultimate Spider-Man franchise with lots of influence from the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon.

The fact is the character has changed so much over the years means that no one adaption will satisfy everyone, some want the more edgy streetwise Peter, others want the timid nerd type, others want Peter as the adult teacher or the broke guy living on his friends couch ect...

As for the Gay comment, that is something the actor said he'd be okay with, perhaps he has looked at all the superhero movies and noticed that there isn't a single Gay character and thought he'd like to use his position to add some much needed representation.

There are so, so many characters changed for the screen from the godawful (Weapon XI) to
Widely accepted (Tony Stark isn't as much a wise-ass in the comics I read), it's an essential process, you will never get your 1:1 completely accurate Peter Parker.

That's what Garfield gets wrong. The brash wise cracking arrogant alter ego of Peter Parker is what he made Peter Parker. Garfield shows off whenever possible, is never humble, always confrontational and displays characteristics of an alpha male. Above all though, he cares little for his Aunt May. Heck he didn't even really care for his Uncle Ben. Garfield portrayed Peter Parker as a teen tormented by angst, and not by isolation. His character was sometimes shy, but more often he was outspoken. He was very liberal with his powers, and extremely narcissistic. He started fights with bullies (not the other way around), he showed off his powers, he publicly shamed cops, got in dinner conversation arguments with girlfriends parents, frequently lied (to get on the oscorp tour, lied about his father's equation), broke rules, and showed little to no genuine affection for his parent figures. Its an interesting study on a modern teenager with super powers, but its nothing close to anything I've ever seen in the Peter Parker storyline.

Disagreed with quite a bit of this.

He does care for his Aunt May but in a less obvious manner, he doesn't want to burden her with his problems so often doesn't involve her so much so as not to hurt her.

He very much cared for his Uncle Ben "Hey Uncle Ben, You're a pretty great Dad. Okay". He mourned him greatly after his death.

He didn't start a fight with the bully he confronted the bully and asked him to stop Bullying a kid, the Bully started the fight.

I don't recall him showing off his powers. Only thing that somewhat fits this is the Train sequence where he couldn't yet control himself and was nothing but apologetic to the people he hurt.

He didn't shame the cop he simply said to him that he apprehended a criminal and the Cop shot at him, he then responded with annoyance and left.

His argument with Captain Stacy was more Stacy taking objection to the idea that Spider-Man could do what Cops can't. Peter was naive in thinking he was helping by apprehending a car jacker and not realising that allowing him to go ahead led to bigger fish. He was nothing but polite and respectful to the Stacy's all he did was have a debate with the father.

Everybody lies. He got into Oscorp by lying yes, but it was to find out abuot his dead Parents. Hardly a horrible objective.

Last edited:
The Amazing Spider-Man franchise isn't just an adaption of the Amazing Spider-Man comic or the start of the Amazing Spider-Man comic.

It takes parts from all the different comics that have featured Peter Parker and the other characters and forms a story and characterisation around them with some own ideas thrown in too.

I see it more as an Ultimate Spider-Man franchise with lots of influence from the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon.

The fact is the character has changed so much over the years means that no one adaption will satisfy everyone, some want the more edgy streetwise Peter, others want the timid nerd type, others want Peter as the adult teacher or the broke guy living on his friends couch ect...

As for the Gay comment, that is something the actor said he'd be okay with, perhaps he has looked at all the superhero movies and noticed that there isn't a single Gay character and thought he'd like to use his position to add some much needed representation.

There are so, so many characters changed for the screen from the godawful (Weapon XI) to
Widely accepted (Tony Stark isn't as much a wise-ass in the comics I read), it's an essential process, you will never get your 1:1 completely accurate Peter Parker.

Disagreed with quite a bit of this.

He does care for his Aunt May but in a less obvious manner, he doesn't want to burden her with his problems so often doesn't involve her so much so as not to hurt her.

He very much cared for his Uncle Ben "Hey Uncle Ben, You're a pretty great Dad. Okay". He mourned him greatly after his death.

He didn't start a fight with the bully he confronted the bully and asked him to stop Bullying a kid, the Bully started the fight.

I don't recall him showing off his powers. Only thing that somewhat fits this is the Train sequence where he couldn't yet control himself and was nothing but apologetic to the people he hurt.

He didn't shame the cop he simply said to him that he apprehended a criminal and the Cop shot at him, he then responded with annoyance and left.

His argument with Captain Stacy was more Stacy taking objection to the idea that Spider-Man could do what Cops can't. Peter was naive in thinking he was helping by apprehending a car jacker and not realising that allowing him to go ahead led to bigger fish. He was nothing but polite and respectful to the Stacy's all he did was have a debate with the father.

Everybody lies. He got into Oscorp by lying yes, but it was to find out abuot his dead Parents. Hardly a horrible objective.

:up::up: for a great post.

If Spider-Man 3 is one of the worst movies you've ever seen, you need to watch more movies.

It's the worst Spider-man movie by far.

The only character it gets remotely right is the Sandman and even that is butchered to make him Uncle Ben's killer.

and what they did to Peter Parker was beyond embarrassing.

That's what happens when you let Sam Raimi write and direct a Spider-man movie.

It's the worst Spider-man movie by far.

The only character it gets remotely right is the Sandman and even that is butchered to make him Uncle Ben's killer.

and what they did to Peter Parker was beyond embarrassing.

That's what happens when you let Sam Raimi write and direct a Spider-man movie.

Oh yeah. Find me a thousand worse movies, this is still pretty bad.

It isn't Troll 2 bad - SM3 wasnt entertainingly bad, apart from a few select scenes, that is

I am and have been my whole life a Spider fan and a collector of Spider-Man comics. Amazing Spider-Man was the first comic book I ever read and to this day it remains my favorite comic series. When I saw Raimi's Spider-Man it absolutely blew my mind and it captivated me. Like many other's I was just as engrossed with Spider-Man 2 and although some of the sloppy CG effects bothered me, I thought it was an achievement and a wonderful representation of Spider-Man. Then Spider-Man 3 came out. It wasn't just a bad movie, it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I never was comfortable with how Tobey looked as Peter Parker, and it was hard to believe him as Spider-Man, but he really did embody the essance of Peter Parker so I was a big fan. But with Spider-Man 3's terrible everything, Tobey's wonderful performance as Peter went wayward as well along with the hopes of so many fans. So they scrapped Raimi and the cast and decided to reboot.

posters.jpg

Flash forward and we now have the Amazing Spider-Man starring Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spider-Man. I was incredibly psyched about this because not only does he look the part, but he seemed to have the smarts, wit, and snark about him that Spider-Man needed. As I watched the movie I noticed so many familiar motifs from the Raimi movie- Peter uses photography to harmlessly stock his love interest, he embarrasses the school bully, he sees flies in slow motion, he catches things that fall in a perfect stack, he unintentionally makes a mess of his room with his powers, he has a blast running on rooftops, he blows off helping his uncle with a household chore, he happens to witness his uncle's death, the villain is a man that Peter trusted who experiments on himself with an untested technology only to drift into power-hungry schizophrenia, he saves people who have been thrown from a bridge by the villain, and ultimately the working class citizens of New York come to Spider-Man's aid to help him overcome the odds. All of these things aren't elements of Spider-Man's origin in the comic books, rather they are elements of Raimi's film. It's hard to say that these are tip of the hats when they happened so frequently, its almost as if the Amazing Spider-Man's source material was Raimi's film and not the comic. The one thing that didn't draw from the Raimi film were the character's and their development. Uncle Ben went from a wise elder concerned about the disconnect with his nephew to a bumbling blue collar simpleton afraid of his nephew's angst and intellect. And although Aunt May is traditionally a frail old woman who is constantly concerned for her nephews well-being, her defining characteristic is her smothering love for Peter. In the Amazing Spider-Man Aunt May was strictly a frantic mess that only exhibited panic and did not display any other emotion. And then there's Peter. Peter went from shy, reserved and mild mannered to a combination of brash, angst filled and narcissistic.

Spider-Man_actors.jpg

Now these changes are not without their merit, although ASM ripped off all of Raimi's motifs it would be borderline plagiarism if the character's weren't altered as well. But this goes beyond this movie being a reboot, this movie is a representation of characters and a mythos that goes much further back than 2002. Heck the name of the movie is the "Amazing Spider-Man". This is the movie that is supposed to draw even more from the original comics. This is the movie line that prides itself in bringing the webshooters into the mix. But instead I think it in translating the story into modern times and it fails in understanding the essence of the characters. This inherent misunderstanding is apparent all the way from the writers, to the director Marc Webb, and all the way to the man behind the mask, Andrew Garfield. More and more I feel like they don't quite grasp the essence of the Spider-Man storyline, and Andrew Garfield in particular just doesn't understand Peter Parker's character and development.

amazingfspiderman4ditko535.jpg

I think it was apparent when Andrew Garfield started making statements about his character beyond the screen. I don't want this to come off wrong, but when Andrew Garfield stated that he thought Peter Parker could be gay- it communicated a disconnect in his understanding of the character and the character's storyline. Sexual orientation is something that doesn't define a person, so its a valid argument that any one character's orientation could be flexible. But as romance fits into Peter's storyark, it definitely makes an impact on who he is. He was a beta male that was always at odds with alpha males like Flash Thompson, particularly in the pursuit of women. His role as a hero involves him switching from beta male to alpha male in a way that complicates his pursuit of his romantic loves who operate within the norms of traditional hetero-romance. This aspect of his storyline is something that deeply impacts how his character develops and he would not be the same without it. Peter Parker knew that he had the power to impress, he had the power to be the alpha male and pursue his love the same way the alpha males did, but Peter suppressed this for the sake of his dual identity. This duality as it operated within the culture of society's perceptions of romance often was the source of many of Peter's character defining conflicts. Peter Parker's character would not be the same if he had not experienced a struggle with other alpha males in pursuit of his love interests- it really has defined who he was. For Peter to be gay and have the same storyline and character development, he would have to operate in a much more progressive society that had very fluid gender roles, because its these gender roles that dictated much of Peter's actions. I do think that a story similar to Spider-Man's very well could exist in which this were the case and with popular characters like Northstar and Batwoman having openly gay romances, its not far off that an iteration of Spider-Man like this could exist.

flashthompson01.jpg

After Garfield made that statement, although it was an interesting interpretation, I mostly got the feeling that the miscommunication of Peter's character went beyond the writing and directing that Garfield himself just really didn't understand the character of Peter Parker. Peter is the humble weakling who secretly has all the power. Its a familiar archetype that's not that revolutionary. The unique thing about Peter's story is that when he is Spider-Man he slips out of his skin into something different entirely. He is dashing and romantic, he tailors his smarts into wit and sarcasm, he stands up for the little guy and he's not afraid of confrontation. Does Andrew Garfield portray these qualities as Spider-Man? Yes. Maybe better than Tobey. But the problem is that these aren't the qualities that define Spider-Man, they just are part of the flash that comes with the suit. Spider-Man is truly defined by who he is underneath. (sorry Batman, but in this case its who he is underneath that defines him). Peter Parker is the guy that gets picked on and can't pick back, he's the guy who can't get the girl and watches all the other guys get girls, Peter Parker is the guy that shrinks his personality and bites his tongue, he is the guy that takes abuse from his boss, his peers, and the authorities quietly, he is humble and not proud, he is slow to anger but confident and wise. Peter Parker above all puts his family above all else. He lives and dies buy his Aunt May and her interest is always on the top of his priority list.

026.jpg

MayParkerAF15.jpg

Maybe it comes down to the fact that he plays a good Spider-Man, but a bad Peter Parker. The opposite could be argued for Tobey Maguire. I thought that all the things that embodied Peter Parker, Tobey portrayed wonderfully, but at the same time he couldn't channel his "alpha male" into his role as Spider-Man in the suit. But shouldn't the perfect actor for Spider-Man be adequately play both? I feel like audiences were so hungry for a Spider-Man that was cocky and showy that they forgot what really makes Spider-Man...Spider-Man. Which, like any hero, is the man behind the mask.

1d073-steve-ditko-amazing-spider-man-21.png

And Peter Parker, Andrew Garfield is not.

XhslPfD.gif
I don't know that I agree with every word,but you made the argument of Tobey/Raimi over Garfield/Webb as compelling as I've ever seen.

XhslPfD.gif
I don't know that I agree with every word,but you made the argument of Tobey/Raimi over Garfield/Webb as compelling as I've ever seen.
Now watch some wise guy come in here and say "but Garfield's Peter is based on Ultimate Spider-Man!"

The problem is Peter Parker wasn't a complete dweeb with no social skill for the majority of Spider-man's comic book continuity.

I's say Garfield is much closer to every non-Ditko version and those versions deserve a chance in the limelight. What about people who became Spidey fans during the 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2000's? Not all of us want the complete "dweeb with no social skill" Peter Parker over and over and over.

Last edited:
Well, he wasn't a skater either, and aside from that, he was never as abrasive in any era as he was in TASM. It's amazing how much people embellish the comic book accuracy argument, and on both sides, for that matter.

There's enough evidence right in front of our eyes to conclude that both franchises took different things as inspiration while going in a different direction with other things. I'd say they both had problems far deeper than things like web shooters and Peter's social skills.

Now watch some wise guy come in here and say "but Garfield's Peter is based on Ultimate Spider-Man!"

It's heavily influenced by Ultimate Spiderman. Have you even read the Ultimate Spiderman comics? :whatever:

I love this thread. Brilliant post, OP. So true :up:

Because he is..

Totes. TASM pulls together a range of cues from Ultimate Spiderman comics, to the Spectacular Spiderman cartoon to the classic comics of old, but it is the Ultimate comics that resonate the most in this version.

That's not for everybody, so fair enough. I'll be busy having a blast with TASM2 while grumpy mcgrumpersons are missing out.

Keep telling yourself that.

Can you please provide examples on how he isn't similar if not exactly like Brian Michael Bendis teenage Spidey in Ultimate Spider-Man or other interpretations of high school-college era Spidey/Spider-Man when he was first starting off and got his powers.(the only way I can is he wasn't exactly a talker or have monologues/narration boxes to know what he was thinking like BMB Ultimate Spidey did).

Mark Webb said in multiple interviews that Ultimate Spider-Man was his main inspiration in crafting his Spider-Man films(And to a lesser extent Stan Lee/Steve Ditko/John Romita sr. Essential Spider-Man volume 1 and Brand New Day Spider-Man volume 1) and like Morbius and Green Goblin said there are a lot of plot points or visual cues that very similar if not taken exactly from Ultimate Spider-Man among other Spidey comics.

I got to agree with CyclopsWasRight post ultimately. Don't get me wrong tdub154420 I appreciate you were able to voice the parts you were dissatisfied by but I thought Andrew Garfield was a pretty faithful adaption of teenage Peter and a pretty accurate portrayal of a modern teen in today's society.

Last edited:

The point you folks seem to be missing is that there's a lot of silly flip-flopping going on with the more ardent fans of this franchise.

Some of you beat your chests about how awesome Garfield's Peter is and how much more faithful he is to the comics than those war criminals Raimi & Maguire, but the second someone posits a compelling argument to the contrary...and I won't even say truthful, disproving, or whatever, just a carefully reasoned, well thought out argument, immediately you guys default to the defense "Oh, well actually, this Peter is accurate to the Ultimate line of comics, so that doesn't count".

Not only is that a completely ridiculous way to both dismiss and discredit someone, but it shows a staggering degree of disrespect and irreverence towards the traditional 616 comics, which is ultimately what your precious Ultimate Peter Parker was based upon in the first place. Funny how that works out, but I'm sorry folks, you can't have it both ways. That some of you would have the audacity to scream comic accuracy as a pro over the previous franchise is laughable when just one look at that costume says otherwise.

Personally, I don't see why there is so much bickering (and dishonesty, while we're at it) over that nonsense. Apparently none of us can seem to agree which franchise is more accurate than the other, but I'd like to think that we can at least agree that both franchises kept several things, while changing others. Welcome to film-making in the 21st century; comic book accuracy is the least of the problems for either adaptation.

Can you please provide examples on how he isn't similar if not exactly like Brian Michael Bendis teenage Spidey in Ultimate Spider-Man

He is in no way a fifteen year old.

The point is Utimate is the Marvel version of Elsewords.The Lee/Ditko era is always going to be the default version to go to,because it's A) The Original. B) Better

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"