Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Over time (and my own experience with an HP m8300f PC) I have read many stories and complaints about computers and other consumer electronics failing within 1 or 2 years. (shortly after the warranty expires) If you are like me, I can not afford to replace my computer every 1, 2 or even 3 years. Not all catastrophic home computer failures are due to bad capacitors, however when I read posts by fellow consumers complaining that their PC will not boot up and or freezes after working fine up until the warranty expires I suspect the device may have failed due to bad capacitors. I am fortunate that I have my degree in electrical engineering and can replace these faulty capacitors for a few dollars and a little of my time.   One thing that bothers me is this statement by certain contributors indicating "Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP ", What's that supposed to mean? That claim and disclaimer means nothing to me. I do find it aggravating though. I would feel better if you said nothing about who you are or who you work for. This is not however the point of my post.

If you are an owner of a computer that is out of warranty and it will not boot up and or randomly freezes, I strongly suggest you read the following links. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague, http://www.thecapking.com/howto.html before deciding what to do. After some amount of research you determine that you have bad capacitors and decide to try and repair your PC on your own, practice on a circuit board from an old non working cheap radio or something like it. It does not need to be a PC mother board. Be prepared to fail, but at least you tried.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Wow!! great...

how would i know which one is failed.. 😮

||
//Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
HP Recommended

If you had looked at the links I provided you would know. However I will explain it to you.  Many HP computers have been plagued with this problem. The easiest way to find bad capacitors is to look for bulging of the tops of the capacitors. I have one pictured below circled in red taken from my HP m8300f. (the picture was posted sideways to save space).

Incorrect electrolyte formula within a capacitor causes the production of hydrogen gas leading to the bulging of the top of the capacitor's case and eventual venting of the electrolyte. That is the root cause of failed or bulging capacitors. Poor quality electrolytic capacitors have the same measurable parameters as good ones when new. The problem only manifests itself after use over a period of time. After some normal use the bad capacitors will fail far sooner than normal end-of-life electronic components.

052.JPG

HP Recommended

FrankJunior, You are so right - thanks for your excellent posts and suggestions that fixed the problem.

I replaced all 8 of the motherboard bulging capacitors and now my M8300f has been working for three months with no problems.  HP would not acknowledge the bad capacitor manufacturing problem or provide a replacement motherboard for sale or exchange - shame on HP. [Content Removed]

HP Recommended

I have 2 Vista desktops mine and my son's that won't start due to MB problems and lo and behold, there are swollen capacitors, I have had no less than 10 HP desktops and notebooks and am currently running an HP notebook and Chromebook and have purchased at least 5 printers but you can bet that my next computer purchase will NOT be HP as my loyalty was was definitely misplaced. HP should have recalled or replaced all suspect computers.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.