Ram in A2+B1=?Dual Channel

Go to solution Solved by WhitetailAni,
1 minute ago, MariusIonasco said:

Nope, no warranty, but it is an Asus Z370-F and I got it for 40 Euros used so it was a good deal.

Ok then no dual channel. I was wondering as they tell A and B are the channels but you need the same letters for it to work so A2 + B1 is unheard of on the internet.

Thanks

Dual channel is if you have 2 sticks in the same number but different letter slot - so A1 B1, A2 B2.

Hi

I know my motherboard has some slots defective so only the slots from middle are working.

Here is a photo as help. I want to know if using Slots A2 and B1 is allowed and if it will be dual channel.

(Ram in A2+B1=?Dual Channel) 

iPgqg.png

You can use slots A2 and B1, but it will not be in dual channel.

Is your motherboard still under warranty?

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

You can use slots A2 and B1, but it will not be in dual channel.

Is your motherboard still under warranty?

Nope, no warranty, but it is an Asus Z370-F and I got it for 40 Euros used so it was a good deal.

Ok then no dual channel. I was wondering as they tell A and B are the channels but you need the same letters for it to work so A2 + B1 is unheard of on the internet.

Thanks

1 minute ago, MariusIonasco said:

Thanks

Dual channel is if you have 2 sticks in the same number but different letter slot - so A1 B1, A2 B2.

elephants

You could always try to get them to accept an RMA

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Thanks

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

You could always try to get them to accept an RMA

Nah I'm good, I don't have the box and I'm not the original buyer so no receipt either

I don't know why people are saying that A2+B1 won't be dual channel. A1/A2 and B1/B2 literally share pins. Having the memory in the same place is generally more stable, but not a requirement.

12 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

I don't know why people are saying that A2+B1 won't be dual channel. A1/A2 and B1/B2 literally share pins. Having the memory in the same place is generally more stable, but not a requirement.

Yes I was wondering too because of this picture

1375294679_Screenshot2021-02-24210156.png.3886a97da819589a53fee7901857aa7c.png

2 hours ago, MariusIonasco said:

Nope, no warranty, but it is an Asus Z370-F

One of the most common causes of dual channel loss on LGA is bad contacts with the pins to pads. Sometimes a cpu re-seat can do the trick, sometimes the cooler is too tight. I'd start here. 

On 2/24/2021 at 11:50 AM, Grabhanem said:

people are saying... and quite correctly at that.  It has to be A1 with B1 or A2 with B2 if you mix and match then its in single channel. this is the whole concept of the naming convention and often times the color coding some MB have is to make it easy to make it dual channel. by putting it in A1 with B1 or A2 with B2.

17 hours ago, airborne spoon said:

people are saying... and quite correctly at that.  It has to be A1 with B1 or A2 with B2 if you mix and match then its in single channel. this is the whole concept of the naming convention and often times the color coding some MB have is to make it easy to make it dual channel. by putting it in A1 with B1 or A2 with B2.

A1 and A2 literally share the same traces on the motherboard, as do B1 and B2.

Rambly but good video about how memory layouts work here, starting around 9:30:

8 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

A1 and A2 literally share the same traces on the motherboard, as do B1 and B2.

Rambly but good video about how memory layouts work here, starting around 9:30:

Be that as it may, how do you convince your BIOS to configure it in dual channel if those other slots are broke

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, Mister Woof said:

Be that as it may, how do you convince your BIOS to configure it in dual channel if those other slots are broke

The BIOS doesn't have to "configure" anything - it has to do with how the copper traces are physically routed on the board. A1 and A2 are physically both connected to channel A on the CPU, and B1 and B2 are physically connected to channel B. The software doesn't do anything to enable dual channel - it just already exists if both channels on the memory controller have something to do.

16 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

The BIOS doesn't have to "configure" anything - it has to do with how the copper traces are physically routed on the board. A1 and A2 are physically both connected to channel A on the CPU, and B1 and B2 are physically connected to channel B. The software doesn't do anything to enable dual channel - it just already exists if both channels on the memory controller have something to do.

Have never tried it to be honest.