Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sawn-off Shotgun

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi everyone, 
I've been working on a sawn-off shotgun with some ornate designs on it. Any feedback on how to improve it would be very much appreciated! 

Replies

• 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Post your textures. The metal looks a bit odd, as does the tape work
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Agree that the textures are off, seem a bit too much like a wrapped metal texture, the edges are too sharp as well imo. 
  • Toll270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I see what you both mean about the textures and edges. 

Here are my textures-

Handle

Barrel

Undergrip, Latch and Screw

• 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Where is your metalness texture and roughness? Post that as well

You have AO in your Diffuse/Albedo which is incorrect.

Why do you have so many texture sets? You definitely do not need three texture sets for a sawn off shotty.

Your scratches are all over the weapon and make no sense in a real scenario. Put scratches where it make sense and where wear and tear would realistically occur. The normal map for the wraps need to indicate these are wrapped on top of each other, increase the build up look on each overlapping edge. The metal does not read well, tone down the severe darkened look.

Look at @Erik Rading piece for an excellent shotty to emulate:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/KeJA4

• Toll270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for all the helpful feedback.  :)

I'll make sure to keep all textures in one map for objects, also I'll redo the texture using the advice given and re-post my results.

Here are my roughness maps-

Barrel

Handle

Undergrip, Latch and Screw

This is what I've used for the metallic map for the undergrip, latch and screw, I've literally just blacked out the parts which aren't metal and used white for the metal. 

Thanks again for the help.