Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Off road drop bars?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Is there a clear favourite for a 29er/700c bike for ‘proper’ off road use and NOT cx racing.
    It looks like I’m a few steps away from not owning a mountainbike, so I’ll be using a cross type bike for tame MTB’ing.
    They’ll need to be compatable with road STIs.

Mowgli
    Free Member

On One Midges or Salsa Woodchippers seem popular. I used Midges for a while, enjoyed the shallow drp and wide position.

allankelly

Agreed, I used Midges with bar-end shifters on my Singular. Worked a treat in the wilds. However at Glentress I found the drop thing too mad and I needed to swap to flats. I actually caught my drop bars in a bush on the second corner of Pennels and landed upside down about 15 feet below!

Cheers, al.

ton

wtb mountain drops
    ragley luxy

allankelly

PS here it is (ah, happy days…)

al.

epicyclo

Midges work for me.

Also worth a read

Vortexracing

I’m just trying these Ragley Luxy bars

P1030477 by eastham_david, on Flickr

sounds like I need to change a few things according to my thread 😳

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ss-funny-handlebars-ill-be-growing-a-beard-and-wearing-sandals-next-pics

singlespeedstu

Salsa Woodchippers rock offroad.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahtat9Fx7uM[/video]

oldgit
    Free Member

The Woodchippers look favorite due to the more roadie hook and position it puts the STIs in.
    What size are those, because the perspective makes them look diddy.

convert

Salsa Bell laps for me, although you might think of them more as a cx race bar.

MrTall
    Free Member

46cm Salsa Bell laps for me as well. Run them happily on my Fargo with 105 STI levers and Road BB7 Discs.

singlespeedstu

oldgit.

They’re the wider version.

Quite a bit wider than the Midge they replaced.

Woody
    Free Member

I much prefer Woodchippers to Midges as I found the drops to be way to short unless my hands were ‘up the bend’. The ragley Luxy above looks to have fixed that design error. Woodchippers are excellent and the 46cm gives lots of control and confidence offroad.
    Here’s mine

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ve got Midges on one bike and WTB Mountain drops on another … I much prefer the Mountain drops off road due to the extra width. Don’t know if you can still get them anywhere now though.

akira

Used to run Specialized RockCombos but doubt you would find any these days, similair to the WTB ones.

miketually
    Free Member

Set-up is key. As is experimentation.

I seem to point the ends of my Midge bars down much further than other people, and have the brake levers further round the bend. Could be because I never ride anywhere other than in the drops on them.

Make sure you read Matt Chester’s 63xc articles on set-up.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Off road drop bars?’ is closed to new replies.