Fongarid V Anti Rot

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Fongarid V Anti Rot

Post by Bretts »

I have read of members using Fungarid as a preventative and or cure against root rot. It is one of the fungicides that I picked up to try and fight the Fungus I had this season. When I recently mentioned to Don Burke that it was something I had tried he stated that Fongarid was useless and was quite surprised that Bonsai Practitioners where still in the dark ages using it. I can understand his surprise as we are usually on the upper reaches of horticultural skill ;)

I thought this was enough to mention it but I was talking to Ray Nesci again today. I am sure he must be getting sick of my calls :lol: but I wanted to tell him I had the new Carpinus seeds for him. Anyway we discussed how I was going with the Fungus issue and I mentioned what Don Burke had said about fongarid and he agreed it is useless.
I have done a bit of a google search and all I can find is that maybe this is a resistance issue?

Don recommended Yates Anti Rot. Don said this stuff is non-toxic and you could bath in a bath full of it :shock: I have now also heard him state that it is about as toxic as a can of coke. I have seen what coke does to a tarnished coin so maybe I won't bath in it :lol:
Anti Rots active ingredient is Phosphorous Acid 200g/Land at about $15 for a 500ml bottle that mixes at about 5ml per Litre it is pretty cheap. It is systemic which means that it is absorbed by the leaves( I guess the roots as well) so it can be sprayed on or watered over the trees into the soil as a drench.
It works by boosting the defences of the plant and inhibits the growth of fungus.
It was interesting that Ray stated that this is what he uses as well. One application he stated was to prevent damping off in his seedlings. He agreed it would be great as a drench for any root rot issues. He also stated it can't be over done/
The only down side of Anti Rot is that it does not work as a dormant spray so I am still looking for a great non-toxic dormant fungicide.
So being non-toxic cheap easy on the environment cheap, versatile and highly recommended it sounds like maybe we should throw out the Fongarid??
Any one else with experience of these Fungicides?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Fongarid V Anti Rot

Post by Jamie »

i havent used any fungicides to be honest, i have rarely even used systemics and contacts either, i dont get great issues with pests or disease luckily, what i wanted to say is about the coke thing, i know it still isnt great for the body etc. etc. but things have changed a lot in the past years with coke, it was about 5 years ago i came across a penny that was worth something and needed to clean it as it was tarnished and brown, i got told to put it in coke, so i tried, it sat in coke for a fair few hours, a bit of a stir to get the reaction going again and topped up when the fizz stopped. all up it barely touched the penny i ended up using a chemical cleaner.

i know its off topic but just thought i would put that in :D

i think the anit rot would be fine, but if you are worried maybe try it on a seedling or the likes, a cheap tree that doesnt mean much or even something self sown from the garden that is of no value.

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Jamie wrote:i havent used any fungicides to be honest, i have rarely even used systemics and contacts either, i dont get great issues with pests or disease luckily, what i wanted to say is about the coke thing, i know it still isnt great for the body etc. etc. but things have changed a lot in the past years with coke, it was about 5 years ago i came across a penny that was worth something and needed to clean it as it was tarnished and brown, i got told to put it in coke, so i tried, it sat in coke for a fair few hours, a bit of a stir to get the reaction going again and topped up when the fizz stopped. all up it barely touched the penny i ended up using a chemical cleaner.

i think the anit rot would be fine, but if you are worried maybe try it on a seedling or the likes, a cheap tree that doesnt mean much or even something self sown from the garden that is of no value.

You are not a numismatic, are you Jamie the coin is now worth less than when you tried to clean it.

I have nver used Fongarid. I use Mancozeb, but I must admit ( he touches his head ) I have never had a root fungus problem.

Cheers :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

You are not a numismatic, are you Jamie the coin is now worth less than when you tried to clean it.
sorry mate, what is numismatice???????????????????

i ended up selling the coin so i dont have it now, i got some money for it, probably not as much as i should have but its in the past so i am not phased and i wasnt a coin collectior either, it was found while cleaning out a house for renovations and sale.

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Phosphorous Acid (Phosacid) has been around a long time (according to my mate Ric) and went off the retail market a long time ago as it wasn't patentable and there wasn't a lot of profit in it.
Its hardly new and has been available in commercial quantities for the last 20 years that I know of. It is now back in retail packs.

I have used Fongarid and have credited it with saving a few trees, plus repots of course when necessary. So did the repot save the tree, the Fongarid, the extra attention, the new mix etc? The Scots Pine back from the dead is doing fine and only had Fongarid used on it..

I purchased some retail Yates Anti Rot about 10 days ago and used it as both a drench and a spray on a few items. I will let you know. Ric swears by it!

Grant
Last edited by Grant Bowie on March 15th, 2010, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Jamie wrote:

i ended up selling the coin so i dont have it now, i got some money for it, probably not as much as i should have but its in the past so i am not phased and i wasnt a coin collectior either, it was found while cleaning out a house for renovations and sale.

Shock Horror,

What are they teaching the kids at school these days that they don't know what a numismatist is?

Grant
63pmp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by 63pmp »

Fongarid is only meant to be used for pythium and phytophora. Not sure of its effectiveness against anything else.

Paul
"The older I get, the less I know"
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

63pmp wrote:Fongarid is only meant to be used for pythium and phytophora. Not sure of its effectiveness against anything else.

Paul
Brett
I have read of members using Fungarid as a preventative and or cure against root rot
Pythium and Phytophthora root rots in ornamental crops.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Grant Bowie wrote:Phosphorous Acid (Phosacid) has been around a long time (according to my mate Ric) and went off the retail market a long time ago as it wasn't patentable and there wasn't a lot of profit in it.
Its hardly new and has been available in commercial quantities for the last 20 years that I know of. It is now back in retail packs.

I have used Fongarid and have credited it with saving a few trees, plus repots of course when necessary. So did the repot save the tree, the Fongarid, the extra attention, the new mix etc? The Scots Pine back from the dead is doing fine and only had Fongarid used on it..

I purchased some retail Yates Anti Rot about 10 days ago and used it as both a drench and a spray on a few items. I will let you know. Ric swears by it!

Grant
Thanks Grant I was hoping we could hear from you on this as I knew you used fongarid. If anti rot does the job it will be great being non-toxic :D
Last edited by Bretts on March 15th, 2010, 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Jamie wrote:

A coin collector

Edit for the Dictionary explanation. A Numismatist, some one who studies Coins and Medals
Last edited by Pup on March 15th, 2010, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

yea, just checked the dictionary, i guess i answered that in my last post. no i dont collect coins, if i did i probably wouldnt have cleaned it like i did know it would be more valuable other wise. :D

sorry bout the hijack.. :oops:

jamie :)
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

Pup wrote:
Jamie wrote:i havent used any fungicides to be honest, i have rarely even used systemics and contacts either, i dont get great issues with pests or disease luckily, what i wanted to say is about the coke thing, i know it still isnt great for the body etc. etc. but things have changed a lot in the past years with coke, it was about 5 years ago i came across a penny that was worth something and needed to clean it as it was tarnished and brown, i got told to put it in coke, so i tried, it sat in coke for a fair few hours, a bit of a stir to get the reaction going again and topped up when the fizz stopped. all up it barely touched the penny i ended up using a chemical cleaner.

I have nver used Fongarid. I use Mancozeb, but I must admit ( he touches his head ) I have never had a root fungus problem.

Hi Pup,

You sure have been getting hot, dry, non root rotting weather over there. The Figs should be loving it.

It was low 20s in Canberra when you were still getting high 30s.

Grant
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

One of the pluses of Dry heat. although Sunday was a stinker as was Saturday 32 and 75 percent humidity.

Which is a surprise that you get Root rot in Parkes but then I do not live there so I am not sure whether the humidity is as high as Sydney and Brisbane.

We discussed other fungal problems when Lindsay and Glenis Bebb were here they said that in Brisbane they have to be careful.
Also one, we are now experiencing, is Phoma which is a fungal disease affecting the new growth on. Juniper procumbens and Nana also Squamata.

It manifest itself as if the tree has been attacked by Scissors, as all the new tips grow distorted. It will not kill the tree as such but will weaken it so it is vulnerable to other attacks.
That is why I use Mancozeb, I have lost the best part of a cascade to it I have just saved part of the top it will now make a small Bunjingi. It looks like your tree is also lacking in Nitrogen so when you have these signs look carefully at your tree's.
Do not use Macozeb+ as it contains oil which is not good for junipers.

jarryd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tasmanian Natives
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by jarryd »

Pup wrote:We discussed other fungal problems when Lindsay and Glenis Bebb were here they said that in Brisbane they have to be careful.
Also one, we are now experiencing, is Phoma which is a fungal disease affecting the new growth on. Juniper procumbens and Nana also Squamata.

It manifest itself as if the tree has been attacked by Scissors, as all the new tips grow distorted. It will not kill the tree as such but will weaken it so it is vulnerable to other attacks.
pup i have two san jose which apear to have exactly what you are describing, i thought it was some sort of pest so i sprayed with confidor, also unsure of if it was a problem with the roots as they were in poor soil i repotted into 100% diatomite soaking the two trees in seasol before potting up.

seems my efforts may have been futile,

so you recomend this Mancozeb product? where did you purchase it from?
Last edited by jarryd on March 15th, 2010, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/montanebonsai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog http://www.montanebonsai.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I don't know if I had root rot Pup but that was just something on the list I threw at it and thought Members might be interested in what I have been told about Fonggarid lately.
I mentioned else where that Don Burke stated this season as the worst in 20 years for fungus in the NSW region.
There has been a pumpkin vine grow wild in my garden for the last few years and although it got lots of water off me it never gave me any pumpkin just flowers that would drop off leaving nothing so I gave up giving it any water.
It has come back this year better than ever without any watering and after the rain it started to produce the start of Pumpkins guess it needs LOTS of water.
Just noticed this afternoon although it is vibrant and healthy it now has some leaves that are prolific with what looks like a powdery mildew fungus :roll:

Return to “Pests and Diseases”