Advertisement
Debates and Discussions!

Anyone know how to get rid of white tails?!

So this is my princesses little leg (she's 11.5 months), she's been bitten by what the doctor thinks was a white tail! No sign of any other allergic reaction such as swelling of the face or difficulty breathing, but he said to keep and eye on it for signs of infection as they carry lots of bugs on their fangs.

I don't really like the idea of getting the house sprayed, and apparently the spray isn't very effective on white tails, rather it kills off their predators so you can end up with more of them! Does anyone know of any natural methods to deter them??!! Apparently they're nocturnal so I'm thinking maybe something I could put around under the cot, an essential oil
or something, any ideas??

It doesn't seem to be bothering her but it just looks so sore and awful, my poor little sweetheart! 
user uploaded image
no reactions
Advertisement | page continues below
34 comments
Go to previous page
/Go to last page4Go to next page
  • The poor little thing. My pest guy uses natural product. I would Google and call the pest company ask their opinion.
  • Pest controls use natural products inside the home. Outside is the nasty chemicals or you could get a product from Bunning's and do it your self in bubs room.
  • We think it was yesterday arvo that she got bitten, but it was just a little red mark. By this morning it had turned into that monstrosity you see there, so I freaked out and ran to the doctors! I'll check out the pest controllers - we already keep the daddy long legs alive but I guess they didn't catch this one before he got my princess!
    Advertisement | page continues below
  • M2bjune2012 said:
    The poor little thing. My pest guy uses natural product. I would Googl…
    Thanks, I'll have a ring around and see what they say. She doesn't seem bothered by it but God it looks painful!
  • forthekids said:
    Pest controls use natural products inside the home. Outside is the nas…
    Thanks, I'll check Bunnings too. She's in with us so I guess I'd only need to do our room, if they're nocturnal. Maybe one pack from Bunnings would do the job but not upset all our daddy long legs friends in the rest of the house!
  • I've heard peppermint oil is good for pests - I'll check it out, thanks! She seems ok at the moment, I think it's worrying me more than it's worrying her! I've been bitten a few times by White tails but I must not have an allergy to them as mine have never gotten this bad!
  • I hate those f..kers with a passion! I get so many in our house but I don't know how to deter them. They will be crawling on the ceiling.. on the floor... most recently I found one camping out on a dirty spatula in the sink! They are cunning.

I hope your daughter is ok and it heals quickly! It must really hurt. 
  • Oh no! That's so awful :( glad she isn't too bothered but it sure is scary looking. We get them in our house too and I'm always freaked they will bite my lo. We went away for 2 weeks and when we came back the hugest one I've ever seen was on the wall of the nursery! My husband squashed it and it's narky little outline and dried bug juice is still on the wall!! Hate em hate em hate em. I heard about peppermint oil too.
  • If you ever do find a white tail the best place to put it is the toilet! I swear those buggers come back alive?!!! We have a problem too here with them. They like to hide out in my pantry -.- 
    hope she gets better soon. X
  • Poor thing! Looks painful!
    We had a shocking whitetail prob here (the whole area does, new development on old farm land). I get our place sprayed every year. They have stuff to specifically target them. I never see spiders now..
    Hope shes ok.
Go to previous page
/Go to last page4Go to next page
Track your pregnancy on our free #1 pregnancy & baby app
phone with BabyCenter app
Advertisement