Skip to main content

Dodge 1965 AT4 tow truck

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #179678 by DodgeyChem
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHi All,

I have just finally fulfilled a 20 year+ ambition to get "one of those cool old Dodge/Inter Aussie trucks".

I have been reading everything I could find about these trucks (mainly on here) for the past two weeks straight.....so thank you to all who have contributed here - possibly the strongest resource for these trucks in the world!!!

It's a yellow 65 3 ton tow truck that appears to have lived most of it's life in Corowa (near Albury).

I'm removing the jib, ( )
and converting it to a nice wooden platform for hauling IBC chemical containers around.
It's got a slant 6 & 4 speed manual, and seems to run fine!!!!

I'm just sorting some electrics at the moment, and picked up some great window gear (vent windows!!) & handles, etc at the local self-serve wrecking yard.

two questions (for now)....

1) Does anyone know where all of the tabs on the light switch go to?
2) Does anyone know where I can get ONE front indicator/parking light Perspex cover?

Cheers,

Mark

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by hayseed. Reason: inserted Pics

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #179679 by DodgeyChem
Hi All,

can anyone guide me in where all of these pins on the headlight switch are supposed to go to??

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by hayseed. Reason: inserted Pic

More
7 years 2 months ago #179680 by dno
I couldn't reply to your other thread, try half way down the page in this link.
www.aussieedsworldofoldtrucks.com.au/lenses#top

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: DodgeyChem

More
7 years 2 months ago #179681 by hayseed
Welcome Dodgeychem.
Mate I've combined all your seperate threads & moved them to the Resto section...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
7 years 2 months ago #179698 by Geoffndodge
Hi Mark! I have an AT4 workshop manual which I bought from plough book Sales. As for your lens you would do well to contact Ed Eminson at Aussie Ed, via internet. I have his phone number if needed. Good luck. Geoffndodge.

More
7 years 2 months ago #179872 by spinnerboy
Replied by spinnerboy on topic Dodge 1965 AT4 tow truck
The wiring harness should have a moulded plug that pushes straight onto the light switch

More
7 years 2 months ago #179873 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Dodge 1965 AT4 tow truck
think you will find this was before the moulded plug era (with the possible exception of the two pins above the fuse)

If it is cleaned up the pins should all have a letter or number on the plastic beside them. Sometimes they are intuitive like "B" for battery but often just random letters or numbers which can be found on the wiring diagram in the manual or on=line.

!0 minutes with a multimeter or a small powered globe could identify everything by trial and error for each switch position.

Lang

More
7 years 2 months ago #179887 by DodgeyChem
Replied by DodgeyChem on topic Dodge 1965 AT4 tow truck
Thanks so much to everyone!!!

I got most lights working by just a new set of front bulbs from Rare Spares!!!

I just had most of it figured out when yesterday, via google, I ended up back on this forum with a pic of the wiring diagram!!!

The only thing that seems a little whacky is that there are 6 gauge Illumination lights for 5 gauges, that all come from one terminal on the left of the switch......

Now I'm sussing out how to rewire with a spare alternator I have, getting rid of the regulator, and I might even go crazy and add a 4 fuse fusebox to protect the main circuits. :ohmy:
I also have some funky 60s retro gauges to add, and I will ditch the Ammeter in the process, necessitating a rethink of the main power feed routing, again - maybe through a fuse or two......

The local self serve wreckers just happened to get a nice ambo in the week I got my truck - so far I have scored all inner handles, mint steering wheel and horn button, ignition switch and door locks (getting common keyed at the locksmiths), tight light switch, interior light chrome and lens and even a big black original sun visor.....

Oh......and what I found when I went to replace the ignition switch;

Attachments:

More
7 years 2 months ago #179888 by DodgeyChem
Fantastic info.....many thanks!!!

More
7 years 2 months ago #179899 by 600Dodge
That sort of cookery is quire common, over time the brass terminal loses it "tension" and then creates a hot joint and eventually burns like that until you have too much resistance to pass any current. With that style of switch I like to solder the wire onto the terminal and then leave about 8-10 inches of wire and put a plug there so that you can remove the switch easily if you have to.

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds