Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peggyhamill

Zucchini had only female flowers

peggyhamill
6 years ago

Hi everyone. I have a zuchinni plant that I planted late Feb in my greenhouse. The variety is Black Open Pollinated. It is really strange. This plant has produced at least a dozen rather normal zucchini with no male flowers at all. There was one male flower early on and there has not been another one since. Yet the fruits do grow. I check this every morning, because in the greenhouse I have to pollinate by hand as there are few insects. (Or at least I thought that I did). Some of the fruits are a little misshapen, but most are fine. I have grown this variety for several years, and never had this experience. Any one have any thoughts? Seems miraculous to me.

Comments (25)

• rgreen48
    6 years ago

It's not uncommon for male and female flowers to be out of sync. Most of
    us plant a number of vines in one planting hole/hill so the odds
    increase. Even then, with close to 15 plants this year, I went 3 days at
    the beginning of flowering with only females and no male flowers. Then,
    after a while, the trend will reverse. Lots of males, few females. I
    grow a variety known for less production per plant, so putting in a
    number of plants works out fine. I'm averaging 2/day right now... which
    is plenty.

• peggyhamill
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks rgreen. That is a great idea. I will try that next year. But I still don't understand why the plant grow with no pollinator.!!

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Doing a search on "black open pollinated zucchini" yields only results for Black Beauty zucchini. And looking further into that variety it seems there is some evidence of Black Beauty being somewhat parthenocarpic. Meaning that it can produce fruit without pollination.

Rodney

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    6 years ago

More often than not, squash will start blooming with just male flowers, because those flowers produce color at low expense of energy and nutrients. That's to begin to attract pollinators. Once that's done, they start spitting out both sexes. Females are harder to make. But occasionally plants get very confused.

Though if the plant knows it's parthenocarpic, it isn't confusion, but just being smart!

peggyhamill thanked daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
  • peggyhamill
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That must be it. Somewhat parthenocarpic. The variety is sold by Fedco Seeds as Black Zucchini. I will continue with this variety, as I get tired of the pollination, which perhaps was never necessary.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    6 years ago

Do you have any other squash growing nearby? Acorn, scallop, yellow summer? Or any pumpkins or gourds? They are all the same species, Cucurbita pepo, and can pollinate one another.....assuming the pollen gets from one flower to another on some critter that got into the greenhouse.

peggyhamill thanked naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
  • flowergirl70ks
    6 years ago

Two years ago my zucchini didn't produce anything, all the flowers were males. So far the same thing this year, and I have 2 plants. I never thought I'd see the day when I couldn't grow zucchini.

peggyhamill thanked flowergirl70ks
  • peggyhamill
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi nature girl. I do have some carnival winter squash (Cucurbita pepo) growing outside about 100 feet from the greenhouse. Perhaps they are pollinating, but they just started to flower recently. But that could be part of the mystery and thanks for the thought. And flower girl .... not grow zucchini??? Right???? Who could ever guess. Seems to be not normal to me.

• Mokinu
    6 years ago

It sounds like your Black zucchini has mutated into a parthenocarpic variety (or else it's not Black—maybe it was an accidental cross). I would save seeds (if you happen to get any male flowers that pollinate them later; if they don't get pollinated, they should be seedless) if I were you and see if they do it again next year.

An open-pollinated parthenocarpic zucchini would be pretty awesome. Lots of people (including me) would probably want your seeds.

An alternate idea is that they mutated and now have perfect flowers like tomatoes, for the most part (so they could self-pollinate with a single flower). It would have seeds then. I've heard of an Asian melon like that, but no squash, yet. Can you get a close-up on the flowers?

peggyhamill thanked Mokinu
  • peggyhamill
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That is some really interesting information and ideas Shule. and I will do just that. If I get a male flower, I will hand pollinate and let the fruit grow to set seed. And see if any of the fruit I am getting are growing seeds. I will try to get as close to a flower as I can and post the photo here. I am not an expert photographer, as I just learned how to use my cell phone camera about a year ago......But I will try.... Thanks Peggy

• rgreen48
    6 years ago

If you are saving seeds, you might want to bag a few flowers.

peggyhamill thanked rgreen48
  • peggyhamill
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I will. But I cut open a fairly large zucchini this morning and there were just hints of seeds. So maybe this is really parthenocarpic behavior....!! But if I get a male, and pollinate by hand, I will bag the flowers for sure, as I do have some winter squash outside that could possibly also pollinate.

• peggyhamill
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is a close up of a flower, Shule.

If this is what you are looking for.

• HU-402297962
    2 years ago

I have trouble every year with too few male flowers and have not noticed evidence of parthenocarpic behavior. I typically grow 17 or 18 plants. They all produce a few male flowers early, then almost entirely females. Sometimes I'll have a dozen new female flowers and not one male, or the male will be stunted with no pollen. Sometimes I'll get a spurt of males, meaning 3 or 4 at one time out of 17 plants. But it doesn't last long.

A guy at cooperative extension service told me it might be a calcium deficiency, but I'm beginning to think it has to do with temperature. Adding calcium eliminated blossom end rot but did not increase the frequency of male flowers. June is usually the warmest month in my yard and that's when I get the most male flowers. Has anybody tried increasing daytime temperatures above 70 degrees? Does that help? Perhaps a greenhouse would help?

• Mokinu
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@HU-402297962

Have you tried plucking off extra female flower to encourage new flowers to come faster? If warm temperatures are helping, extra phosphorus might help in cool weather. Have you tried new varieties of zucchini? You generally want squash to be above 70 degrees in the daytime.

• Mokinu
    2 years ago

You also might try growing parthenocarpic varieties.

• Martin
    last year

I've a similar problem this year. A couple of male flowers early on but for the last few weeks only females. These are hardly ever pollinated, maybe one in a dozen, possibly via a neighbours plants or from a nearby cucumber, if that's possible? Given the current heatwave it can't be lack of heat. Variety is Fireze which has aways served me well in the past.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

Extreme heat can shut down both flowering and pollination. For a while when we were having near 100F highs my female flowers weren't even opening but the males were. Once it cooled down a bit I started getting good pollination. Not sure what would cause only females to show up this late in the season.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    last year

I've had precisely the opposite this year. Last year it was the opposite of that. Just rollin' dice. It is, however, well understood that male flowers show up first, because they are easier for the plant to produce, and they attract pollinators for when the females come out.

• HU-484003717
    10 months ago

I had a nice mix of male and female to start - in spring - but now with heat waves the boys are shy and the abundant females producing babies that die on the vine. sigh sigh.

• HU-181368994
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

peggyhamill, I have zucchini with only female blossoms that are producing fruit. There's no one else in the neighborhood growing zucchini (I live in an area of condos), so it's highly unlikely they have been pollinated. The fruit grow very slowly, and most stop growing at around 5" long. But currently, I have one growing to full size for which the flower never even matured or opened. I grew the plants from a Tasty Black Patio start produced by Westwind Gardens. Before this happened, the production had slowed, possibly due to hot weather, and I gave them some fertilizer and Morbloom (0-10-10). It's happening with both zucchini plants that came from the same tray of starts.

• peggyhamill
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Mysterious.....more parthenocarpic that we thought I guess....

• HU-181368994
    9 months ago

This shows the harvested zucchini outside and inside. The posted pictures lost some resolution, but you can see the undeveoped pistil in the flower bud.

• peggyhamill
    Original Author
    9 months ago

very interesting and something I had not considered. Thanks Peggy