Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dottyback with Gramma?

jesseatam

So I have a standard 30 gallon which i think is 36x18x12 and about 30 lbs of live rock. I've always liked the look of dottybacks and have always been interested in them. I do know their reputation but most horror stories only seem to come from a few select species like neons, bicolors etc. The species I'm interested in are orchid, springeri, sunrise, indigo, and splendid dottys(captive bred of course). My only worry about adding one to my system would be the effects on some of my small inverts like snails, bristle worms, crabs and bristle worms, if I have enough rockwork, and then possible compatibility isssues with my royal gramma, George. Besides George the only two other fish are a "pair" of ocellaris clowns who only seems to bicker with eachother and have a healthy respect for George. Personality wise George is overall relatively chill, he's only moderately territorial and only goes after the clowns if they're too close to his burrow or invading his personal space. I'll also include an FTS to show off the rockscape.

IMG_3031.JPG

Oh and if guys heavily recommend against a dottyback what other fish would you recommend for stocking? I was also considering a kind of pygmy filefish or wrasse, an assessor or maybe even one of those biota coral beauties but I don't know if I feel comfortable keeping a pygmy angel in this size tank.

BustytheSnowMaam

I wouldn't.  You don't have enough rockwork.  Dottybacks/grammas aren't compatible.  If you have more rock, you could do a pygmy angel.  Your tank is long enough that it has enough swim room (I have a pygmy angel in my 30, and it doesn't seem overly confined by any means, but I have 60 lbs of rock).  A flameback or cherub would be ok.  Another option might be a sixline wrasse.  

A fun option might be a shrimp/goby pair.  The shrimp is blind and digs a burrow for the goby, and the goby looks out for predators and brings the shrimp food (I'm not sure about that last part, but I think the shrimp does get some food benefits).  You will see the shrimp venture a few inches out of the burrow with the goby, its antenna always touching the goby to keep in contact (the goby is sort of like the shrimp's "service animal").  This is an example http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=358781.  You'll probably find them cheaper at your LFS.  Most Amblyeleotris gobies will pair with a pistol shrimp.  

Caveat- shrimp gobies like to jump, so you'll want a tight screen on that tank.  Actually, if you don't have one already (I can't tell from the pic), I'd get one on there ASAP, or your clown and gramma will be fish jerky on the floor.  They spook, dart to the corner, then go up and out.  

• Like 1

I've looked at some shrimp goby pairs but I have a pistol shrimp hitch hiker in there already that I haven't quite located and I'd be worried about shrimp warfare. The rock is from the caribbean too so no hope for it to pair with a goby too :(

I like dottybacks, but I don't have any, so I haven't researched them.  

I have read and heard that royal grammas are super territorial with every species. Essentially, bullies.

My gramma isn't too bad, just keeps the clowns in check and makes sure they know who's boss. He was my first fish and when I added the clowns he was actually scared of them at first and didn't leave his den for a while. He eventually then became comfortable enough with their presence and came out again but then the clowns decided to test him out to see if he was a pushover or not and he put an end to that real quick and now they know their place :lol:. Also ever since I added the clowns the gramma is way bolder and more confident, they seem to act as dither fish for him.

• Like 1

I had a bicolor dotty. Cool fish but definitely aggressive. My hermits and snail population never lasted besides nassarius. 

Similar shaped and coloured fish tend to have issues with eachother.

Purple firefish

Midas blenny

Cardinals

• Like 1

I have 2 clowns, a pictus blenny, 2 gbg and a possum wrasse.  

The gobies (Nigel and Hen), stick to themselves,  but play together. My pictus swims around with the clowns(Jimmy Peppers and Juice)...but then again, Rufus the pictus blenny is the coolest fish on the planet. Spike, my possum wrasse is brand new and is shy af. He is slowly coming out of his shell.

All is safe and sound except for my hermits...

• Like 1

I LOVE the look of pictus blennies, when I was in the theory stage of planning the tank that was one of my must haves for sticking but there are no great LFS in my immediate area and if I wanted to order online I wouldn't be there to receive the package cause school so I gave up on the idea, but now since summer is coming up I might have to reconsider... I'm just curious as to if they're macro safe and if they'll touch hair algae.