Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Banyan Trees on Gasparilla Island
Lens: DA 18-250mm Pentax lens Camera: Pentax K5lls Photo Location: Gasparilla Island Florida ISO: 160 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: rhanz, 07-21-2023, 07:27 AM

The Banyan Trees are in the village of Boca Grande. They were planted in 1915 and have with stood 225 mph wind gust for aprox. 12 hours in 2022 from hurricane Ian. The 7 mile long barrier island had a lot of damage at that time.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 808
07-21-2023, 08:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like those twisted and contorted tree trunks with their broad root bases. Tropical trees are distinctly different.. A very nice series of images, rhanz. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by MikeNArk; 07-21-2023 at 11:16 AM.
07-21-2023, 09:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful images! These distinctly show the secondary trunks that form when the aerial roots finally reach the ground.
07-21-2023, 10:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I like those twisted and contorted tree trunks with their broad root bases. Tropical trees are distinctly. A very nice series of imaged, rhanz. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for your input and interest in the photos.

---------- Post added 07-21-23 at 10:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Beautiful images! These distinctly show the secondary trunks that form when the aerial roots finally reach the ground.
Thank you for your comments. My wife and I also went to Marie Selby Gardens where I took a few more Banyan trees and beautiful flowers which I will be posting.

Last edited by rhanz; 07-21-2023 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Error in my sentence
07-21-2023, 12:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rhanz Quote
Thank you for your comments. My wife and I also went to Marie Selby Gardens where I took a few more Banyan trees and beautiful flowers which I will be posting.
Looking forward to it! BTW, Ian was a nasty hurricane to be sure, but I think the winds were more in the 125mph range...to my knowledge no hurricane -- not even category 5 Andrew -- has had winds more than 160mph.
07-21-2023, 02:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking forward to it! BTW, Ian was a nasty hurricane to be sure, but I think the winds were more in the 125mph range...to my knowledge no hurricane -- not even category 5 Andrew -- has had winds more than 160mph.
Hurricane Camille had winds had winds at 175 mph when it hit Bay St. Louis, Mississippi on August 17, 1969. I was at Alvin Callender Field, south of New Orleans, the night it made landfall.
07-21-2023, 03:24 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I agree with you about the winds but I got the info from the visitors guide. Winds were not sustained but they did clock gusts at 225

07-21-2023, 03:43 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Those powerful roots and trunks can withstand just about any kind of nature thing.
Very impressive trees!
Angky
07-21-2023, 04:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rhanz Quote
I agree with you about the winds but I got the info from the visitors guide. Winds were not sustained but they did clock gusts at 225
I would be suspicious of that number. Not saying there weren't gusts of that magnitude, but I find that number questionable. Not arguing with you, believe me, but the folks who put that visitors guide together may have been stretching the numbers a wee bit.
07-21-2023, 04:29 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Hurricane Camille had winds had winds at 175 mph when it hit Bay St. Louis, Mississippi on August 17, 1969. I was at Alvin Callender Field, south of New Orleans, the night it made landfall.
Interesting. Camille -- a Cat 5 storm, as was Andrew (1992, I was here for it) destroyed all the wind-measuring instruments. So did Andrew. So nobody really knows, the reported wind speed numbers are best estimates based on other measurements and the level of destruction. Whatever they were, these were two monster storms. Ian was no slouch but it wasn't a Camille or an Andrew.