What's new
What's new

Model “T” Ford Speed and Racing Equipment Part I – The Early Pioneers

t-head

Cast Iron
Speed1.jpg

The photos seen here are from the first part in a series of articles we are featuring on The Old Motor covering the history of speed equipment for the Model "T". We have started with the Noonan 8-valve head and the three different variations of the Craig-Hunt 16-valve SOHC and you can learn all about them on The Old Motor.

Speed21.jpg

CraigHunt8.jpg

Still hoping Dan 4 Banger will complete his DO Fronty kit for Model T so I can buy one

That would be a very fun project to do if he succeeds, nothing like one of them. I was fortunate to pick up an S-R head and a Green racing engine with a Fronty crank recently.

Ya know,
The vintage speed stuff for "T"s and "A"s was way kool and very advanced for it's time. Much of it was kinda "European" in flavor. But...................

There is something equally, if not maybe even a little more kool about a stock well tuned model T just ticking over at a super slow idle. Running so slow that you can hear (and distinguish) each individual cylinder fire.
I have seen some of those things idle so slow that you could actually count the fan blades going around. I bet it was well less than 100 RPM! And some of them were so quiet that you could even hear the buzz coils fire!

It's definitely a tough call which is neater, a stocker or a Fronty (or other OHV / OHC conversions). But I think I have a tendency to prefer a stocker just barely ticking over. It's a tough call!

Just my $.02

Frank

The HAL is definitely a bit Offenhauseresque..................

Although the Miller boat engine that became the Offenhauser car race engine existed, my impression is that HAL's first DOHC pre-dated Fred's work. After Offenhauser bought out Miller/took over due to unpaid bankruptcy claims the Offenhauser and HAL versions probably developed concurrently and competitively. No doubt both were influenced by Miller & Miller/Goosen designs. (Fred of course advancing with Leo Goosen on staff!)

smt

Fred O. went to work for Harry A. Miller in 1915, and one of the first things he worked on was the DOHC Peugeot "make over" for Bob Burman.

See The Miller Dynasty by Mark L. Dees

Yes, but the "Offenhauser" 4cyl racing engine did not occur until F.O. needed a product after the Miller bankruptcy and developed Miller's small boat racing engine into the all conquering engine for land based speed contests. :)

Here's another "furrin' " engine design Miller & Offenhauser were exposed to ~ca 1917 when the war dept sent them to NY to develop carburators, water pumps and accessories for Deusenberg's ill fated attempt at producing the U16 Bugatti airplane engine.

smt_bugatti9.jpg

smt_bugatti10.jpg

(Maybe a very useful early education in several managerial/bureaucratic and technical "how not to do it's" ?) :D

smt

DO3.jpg

If any of you are interested we have good images of a complete 1929 Fronty Ford catalog were you can see the incredible selection of engine, parts and cars they had to offer on The Old Motor and a post on Briggs Cunningham's DOHC Fronty powered car.

Fronty-V.jpg

DO1.jpg

Green1.jpg

The Kay Fleischmann Special – A Jewel-Like Early Supercharged Racing Car: This very interesting photo shows the Kay Fleischmann Special parked next to a Duesenberg straight eight apparently just before the start of a race. It appears that the Fleischmann Special was built by Green Engineering and it is equipped with one of their superchargers as seen out in front of the Miller-style radiator. This car had a Galivan dohc engine and we found out that it had had set a speed of 120 on a beach in N.J. All the details are on The Old Motor.

Miss4.jpg

This post will show you a supercharged Miller Marine engine and you can here it run on the water.

The Sleek, Fast and Famous 1929 Miss Daytona Hydroplane: Learn the interesting story of the Miss Daytona, a 1929 stepped-hull hydroplane and hear her run at speed. The new caretaker of the boat is Bruce Meyer, the consummate vintage and racing car collector who had Morin Boats prep it for the interesting run. Don't miss hearing the supercharged Harry Miller built 151 cubic inch marine scream in an excellent video by Autoweek on The Old Motor.

Miss2.jpg

Back