Domino Damsels Tattered Fins -sick?

kriva5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help identify what is wrong with my Domino Damselfish? Their fins appear to be tattered and some have marks/abrasions on their sides and near their eyes. Water parameters are fine.
20200828_174421.jpg
20200828_174425.jpg
20200828_174441.jpg
Thank you!

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good chance they’re beating each other up. Do you see them chasing and picking on each other?

OP
OP
kriva5

kriva5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good chance they’re beating each other up. Do you see them chasing and picking on each other?
They definitely do chase each other, and the little one looks the worse. I knew they were being aggressive but I didn't realize they could be doing that much damage!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are varying amounts of aggression damage on the fish - there should be one “winner” in the tank, with few to no marks on it. However, the marks on the heads could be something else- how long have you had these?

Jay

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely do chase each other, and the little one looks the worse. I knew they were being aggressive but I didn't realize they could be doing that much damage!
They can definitely do some damage. Dominos tend to become more aggressive as they get bigger.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What else in the tank ?
Looks like something a clown or fellow damsel would do. Whats wierd is that its generally the domino thats the aggressor !

OP
OP
kriva5

kriva5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are varying amounts of aggression damage on the fish - there should be one “winner” in the tank, with few to no marks on it. However, the marks on the heads could be something else- how long have you had these?

Jay
I've had the Dominos for about 6 weeks, and they are alone in the tank. I was afraid the damage may have been from illness, but I can see that the healthiest looking damsel now is probably also the biggest and most aggressive. Looks like it could be the winner. I was thinking about leaving the lights off and moving some of the aquascape to mix up the territories... is there anything else I can do, or is it time to find some of these guys new homes?

OP
OP
kriva5

kriva5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else in the tank ?
Looks like something a clown or fellow damsel would do. Whats wierd is that its generally the domino thats the aggressor !
The Dominos are alone in the tank, so if it doesn't look like illness, I guess it makes sense that they are getting territorial and the smallest ones are getting torn up. I hadn't intended to have a group of these guys, but a friend gave them to me to help cycle a new tank. I'll need to figure out how to help them until I can find them new homes. Any suggestions?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The Dominos are alone in the tank, so if it doesn't look like illness, I guess it makes sense that they are getting territorial and the smallest ones are getting torn up. I hadn't intended to have a group of these guys, but a friend gave them to me to help cycle a new tank. I'll need to figure out how to help them until I can find them new homes. Any suggestions?
isolation is best. they are knowingly nasty.
Many dont know this , ut they do take to anemones without getting stung and would also keep them occupied rather than fighting

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the Dominos for about 6 weeks, and they are alone in the tank. I was afraid the damage may have been from illness, but I can see that the healthiest looking damsel now is probably also the biggest and most aggressive. Looks like it could be the winner. I was thinking about leaving the lights off and moving some of the aquascape to mix up the territories... is there anything else I can do, or is it time to find some of these guys new homes?

Managing damselfish aggression by moving them around, isolating them, giving "time outs" etc. has never worked long term for me. Keeping huge groups of them in one tank works for wholesalers for the short term. Funny thing is that domino damsels school/shoal in nature, but in aquariums that breaks down and they fight. I think you'll need to rehome these. Personally, I would avoid all damselfish except clownfish; green chromis often do poorly, domino, striped, neons and blues all fight too much. There are some less common Chrysiptera species that are not as mean....

Jay

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back