Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo's had this long wonderful tradition of keeping us guessing and dreaming of what would be next. I only started following this stuff in the Wii era when it was just starting to be talked about as the Nintendo Revolution.

Back at E3 2005 Satoru Iwata revealed the GameCube's successor simply called Nintendo Revolution and showed us the console itself. We got a small clip of Metroid Prime 3 and got news about the invention of the Virtual Console service that would allow us to download "20 years of Nintendo content", a first ever for Nintendo.

nintendorevolution3osqr.png

But that was it. We didn't even see the controller and the true definition of the "Revolution" until TGS 2005 when the "Revmote" was revealed by Iwata himself at a keynote.

Finally in April 2006 the world was shook when it was announced out of nowhere that the Nintendo Revolution would now be simply called the "Wii", pronounced as "we". And FINALLY Nintendo would fully lift the curtain of the system at E3 2006, giving us outstanding showcases of games such as The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Excite Truck, and even 3rd-party games such as Ubisoft's Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids, and of course Sonic was there with a first ever Nintendo home console exclusive; Sonic Wild Fire (later renamed Sonic and the Secret Rings).

Fast forward to around February or March 2011, rumors started buzzing about the Wii's successor, then unofficially codenamed "Project Cafe". Which would be Nintendo's first HD console (something Wii was criticized for lacking), and a mysterious controller with s screen to play your console games on.

Sure enough, on April 25th, 2011, Nintendo revealed via a PDF file that such a system did exist and would be shown in playable form at E3 2011.

wii2r7db.png

And it was. Project Cafe was revealed to be called the Wii U. However things weren't as big or glamorous as we would have hoped. The presentation was more of a peek than a full-blown unveiling, that's because the system would not be out until the end of 2012, a year and a half later. We got to see the system and the controller, as well as a reel of games such as Darksiders 2 and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. Ubisoft announced two major titles; Killer Freaks from Outer Space as an exclusive, and a port of Ghost Recon Online. And Nintendo showed a bird tech demo and some concepts for games such as ones called New Super Mario Bros. Mii, Chase Mii, etc, but also a major exclusive in the form of Lego City Stories (later retitled Lego City Undercover).

Eventually at E3 2012 we'd finally get a proper, more final look at the system. The controller got updated to show analog sticks instead of circle pads, and more game announcement in the form of New Super Mario Bros. U, the LONG awaited Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, and a new IP from Platinum Games then called Project P-100 (later called The Wonderful 101). Ubisoft revealed that Killer Freaks would be retooled as Zombi U, and we had Rayman Legends coming as an exclusive also (and we know how THAT went...), but also with a slew of games such as Assassin's Creed III, Rabbids Land, Sports Connection, Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, etc.

Things... didn't go so well for the Wii U. Later on March 17th, 2015, Satoru Iwata announced a special conference with a new ally in the form of DeNA for a new venture; mobile gaming.

To combat concerns of Nintendo ditching hardware, Iwata announced the all-new system with a brand-new concept simply called "NX". Nintendo kept a tight lip on what the NX would be.

After a whole year and a half later of speculation, rumors, what have you, Nintendo out of nowhere told us to expect the first look at the NX on October 20th, 2016. This is that video:

Indeed, the LONG awaited mysterious NX system would be revealed as the Nintendo Switch. The system would be a portable system that you can insert into a dock to play on the TV, and features detachable controllers called the Joy-Con controllers for 2-player gaming out of the box. Games shown included The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the WIld, a port of Mario Kart 8, Skyrim by Bethesda, an untitled NBA game (later revealed to be NBA 2K18 by 2K) and an untitled Splatoon and 3D Mario game, later revealed to be Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey respectively.

Finally after a poor run with the Wii U did Nintendo have a huge hot once again, with the Switch constantly selling out and the games from both Nintendo and third parties are doing very well.

Throughout all of these periods, and likely prior during the Project Dolphin (GameCube) and Project Reality (N64) days, Nintendo loved to keep us guessing and imagining the possibilities.

What stories and memories would you like to share about these periods? :)

Last edited:

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Project Reality is when it started for me. Silicon Graphics and stuff was amazing to imagine on Nintendo games.

project-reality-tech102.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
In august I saw someone on twitter mentioning that the switch is cool and all and they are still waiting for the NX

The wii time was WILD.
Isn't that the time we got the Project ON video ?
That intro and the mario 64 castle thing was pure hype ... too bad the end with the gameplay was shitty.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Will we ever revisit the insanity that was the GAF Wii U Speculation Thread in our lifetime? Those were the halcyon days.

This world needs more IdeaMan vague-posting nonsense.
Jo3AlTb.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget the DS which was announced as being a two screen system with no other information, seems like a lot of people expected this would be two screens split horizontally.

Also when people kept posting variations on this video of a DSi game to explain how the 3DS would work

Last edited:

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
It helps that, since the Wii and DS days at least, Nintendo speculation involves understanding what new gimmick the company has come up with to try and sell hardware. With the other two console makers, you know you're mostly going to more powerful machines, and any other novelties are likely to be peripherals to come down the line (or in the case of Kinect, carried over from the previous gen). With Nintendo there's a good chance they're inherent to the system, and thus, the design of the system itself will be radically different to just 'custom-built PC'. Hence NX speculation in particular was so fervent, spent trying to figure out how in the hell one could have a 'hybrid' games console, bolstered by Iwata's comments about a unified ecosystem.

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember the original breath of the wild reveal, where Aonuma just snapped his fingers and I burst out into an uncontrollable smile at work. Nintendo nailed old school (pre-corporate era) Disney magic for me there.

Last edited:

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing early Café speculation mockups that are more or less what the Switch is.
18j26xsm28trvjpg.jpg

Nov 3, 2017
I remember slowly becoming more intrigued by the NX concept and resultant rumors. The NX hype train got so fervent and desperate... It was pretty awful.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I remember GameCube being announced as project dolphin and hoping they just kept the codename.

Deleted member 2279

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Project Reality is when it started for me. Silicon Graphics and stuff was amazing to imagine on Nintendo games.

That article was hype as fuck. I miss getting that excited about video game technology. That wonder at redefining what was possible in a medium thanks to a new machine. VR felt like it was going to be the same, but I still have yet to even try it and haven't seen anything released that I really needed so the hype has fizzled out. Maybe it will come back with the right game or hardware breakthrough. I hope it does.

I remember seeing early Café speculation mockups that are more or less what the Switch is.

That's really cool. I think the Wii U was a necessary step (stumble) toward an awesome console.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Not sure if sarcasm...

If serious, it was a whole different console.

If not serious, you understand why that console bombed.
Not serious of course! The Wii U had some awesome games and I think its reputation will improve in the coming years and as the software droughts and misfires grow more and more more distant and games like Bayo 2, Smash 4, Tropical Freeze, 3D World, Splatoon, Mario Maker etc remain as people's enduring memories of the system. Given this thread's topic, my comment was just a jab at how badly Nintendo botched the Wii U reveal.

More on topic, I remember being super depressed by the Revolution reveal, sort of unmoved by the Project Cafe reveal and incredibly hyped by the NX reveal. The Switch is the real successor to the N64 and GameCube, in my opinion.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The NX days were nuts. The elliptical controller, the hilariously outrageous detective work, and the wild speculation of "tomorrow" tops it for me.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't realize Nintendo already hinted that the new Mario game would have a 2 player mode in the Switch reveal video.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Revolution name being revealed as Wii was an April Fool's joke, because it was around the same time.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
OP, check your dates. You mention 2017 twice in reference to the NX. I think one should be 2015, and the October date should be 2016.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
This was the first text to appear in the WiiU reveal trailer:
DOS_mAoVwAAXhFA.jpg

It was there all along, right in front of us. The WiiU really was a necessary learning experience in order for Nintendo to end up at the Switch.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
This was the first text to appear in the WiiU reveal trailer:
DOS_mAoVwAAXhFA.jpg

It was there all along, right in front of us. The WiiU really was a necessary learning experience in order for Nintendo to end up at the Switch.
Man that "new controller" marketing was straight hot garbage that did nothing to help the confusion of Wii and Wii U.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Project Reality and Ultra 64 ... that's where I jumped in. But I was actually "hyped" for the first time when it came to Dolphin.

Everything - and I mean everything - in video games changed when Sony first started to officially begin teasing PlayStation 2. I still strongly believe there has never been a more anticipated or hyped system than Sony's sophomore effort. That really snowballed into the other key players, then, too. And as a Nintendo fanboy, that meant I was all about the Dolphin.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Man that "new controller" marketing was straight hot garbage that did nothing to help the confusion of Wii and Wii U.
Yeah and that initial reveal viseo is especially bad. It doesn't say New Console at any point and the marketing pitches the New Controller as the Wii 2 in terms of all the games and marketing. At the time Nintendo really thought the Wii brand still had power.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Wait wasn't the Wii U just a new controller for the Wii?

I watched the reveal with a group of people in some IRC chat. If the people so dedicated to gaming that they watch multiple 2+ hour long E3 press conferences while typing in an IRC room for a gaming forum couldn't tell whether this was a peripheral for the Wii or a brand new console, what hope did the general public have? I remember the confusion continued long after the press conference, it was only afterwards that images began swirling about of what the actual machine looked like, because all they showed on stage was that silly controller. What a mess.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas

project-reality-tech102.jpg
project reality was so fun to follow as a kid... Also the DS rumors were wild

No matter what system ... my favorite thing to do is OVER analyze tech specs and try and guess what chipset and configuration the hardware will use. I love those times. I hope some new switch POWER DOCK rumors happen soon... I want to talk chips and speculate.

I watched the reveal with a group of people in some IRC chat. If the people so dedicated to gaming that they watch multiple 2+ hour long E3 press conferences while typing in an IRC room for a gaming forum couldn't tell whether this was a peripheral for the Wii or a brand new console, what hope did the general public have? I remember the confusion continued long after the press conference, it was only afterwards that images began swirling about of what the actual machine looked like, because all they showed on stage was that silly controller. What a mess.
I was at that conference and fully understood what it was and what it wasnt. I was blown away when I heard people were confused. I think a lot was echo chamber reporting... "HUH? WHAT IS THIS A NEW CONTROLLER? I'M SO CONFUSED!!" when clearly they had announced the wii's successor

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Gamecube/Dolphin speculation sorta coincided with internet rumors and bullshit for me. Those were some good ass times.
igndolphincontroller1.jpg

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Project Reality was something. They even went as far as claiming that KI and Cruis'N USA ran on Ultra 64 hardware. KI arcade ofcourse looked amazing as fuck, but the N64 version was a shell of it. I was disappointed by the final N64, immediately noticed it wasn't a threat to the PSX.