all posts post new thread

Chad Waterbury 40 Method

Spirit198

Level 1 Valued Member
Will somebody explain to me how is this possibile?

When im doing first set to failure with lets say 10 rep max after 1 min of rest i can do around 5 reps.
Chad Waterbury method calls for 8 rep max weight to failure and after just 45 sec in there exemple lifter should be able to do 8 more repn which is impossibile for me.

Exercise: Biceps Curl

Reps: 40 total

Load: 8RM

Sets: Doesn't matter

Rest: 45 seconds between sets

Set 1: 8 reps

Set 2: 8 reps

Set 3: 6 reps

Set 4: 5 reps

Set 5: 4 reps

Set 6: 4 reps

Set 7: 3 reps

Set 8: 2 reps

Total reps: 40

What you did is quite common and expected. I wouldn't sweat it.

The only way to get 8 reps every set with the 45-second rest breaks would be if the load was very light.

When im doing first set to failure with lets say 10 rep max after 1 min of rest i can do around 5 reps.
Chad Waterbury method calls for 8 rep max weight to failure and after just 45 sec in there exemple lifter should be able to do 8 more repn which is impossibile for me.

It was an example. The idea doesn't change. Train each set to failure, rest 45s, and do enough sets to get to 40 reps. See below quote from the article:

Remember, you're only resting 45 seconds between sets and you're starting with your 8RM, so every set will be taken to failure. If you can get 8 reps on every set, then you either started too light and sandbagged the first few sets, or you rested way longer than 45 seconds between sets.

The trick here is having a weight that will be in the overlap of the venn diagram of challenging and doable. That's all.

The gimmick here, and I think it's a good one, is that You've got a way to nominally cap your volume, and progress your intensity.

Fitting more reps into less sets, over time, is going to have an effect.

Overall the loading resembles what I understand to be RIR training. Technically, it seems like you go by feel, as to tapering off the reps in your subsequent sets.

It's autoregulation.

Which makes sense, you're looking at a plan aimed at sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. So, of course increased density , over time , is one way to go.

I agree with the OP. The posited reps progression is ludicrous which takes from the credibility of the approach and author. It’s the kind of nonsense that makes me immediately stop reading and move on. I’m reminded of an article in a popular fitness magazine where the author‘s promoted workout commenced with a warm up: 90 seconds “flat out” on an exercise bike. Now everyone knows you can either go for 90 seconds or you can go “flat out” but no-one can do both. And the fantasy was exacerbated by the fact he then (supposedly) immediately went to do deadlifts?!?!?!?! I can’t even imagine what that would look like

Because he doesn’t expect you to get 8 reps after the first time, he’s using those numbers as an example as how the method works. The goal is to get 40 reps total via however many sets/reps you can

I love the idea of capping reps. I should have capped everything years ago. Just get to 40 with 45 seconds rest each time. I also think it depends on the exercise because with a lot of lifts you have to set up. If you're doing this correctly you're going to be hating life around rep 34.

Back
Top Bottom