Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is this rubbery growth on my grevilleas?

Bill55
Just Starting Out

What is this rubbery growth on my grevilleas?

I've got some kind of growth on some ivory whip grevilleas.They're about 7 years old and 3 to 4m high, and attract many birds, so I'm hoping it's not serious.
It's not like sawdust, it's a rubbery texture, and it appears on almost every node. What is this?

IMG_5025.jpgIMG_5024.jpg
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Borers? on Grevilleas

Hello @Bill55 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about the growth on your Grevilleas.

I was originally thinking that it might be tree resin coming out of the old cut sections. Does it appear to be affecting the health of the tree? How long has the growth persisted? If it continues to grow and starts to affect the tree, I suggest calling in a professional arborist. Perhaps they can identify what's growing on your Grevilleas.  

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 perhaps they have seen it before and can identify it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

WOW !!! That’s really interesting @Bill55  I was wondering if it is a type of fungus growing on there. It’s fascinating to look at. I’m not sure. I’m going to tag @Noelle and see what she thinks 😃

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Bill55 

Definitely fungal of some sort. It's "attacking" the nodes as they are potential points of entry/weakness in the trunk. One of those naturally occurring fungi that may flare up when a tree's under stress or the habitat changes. If left untreated the tree beneath each outcrop is likely to decay but there are so many of them that to remove, all of them, cut out the affected wood beneath and then treat each would may weaken the tree considerably. I'd be inclined to just leave them alone and see what happens. Whichever way you go, in my opinion the life of the tree is not going to be long and happy. Sorry.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects