Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are the leaves curling on my apple tree?

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Why are the leaves curling on my apple tree?

Hello Team,

Can someone please advise why some of the apple tree leaves dried up and curled up? How to resolve this issue?

Your guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Balaji.Leaf curls upLeaf curls upLeaf tip and edges are dried upLeaf tip and edges are dried up

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why are the leaves curling on my apple tree?

Hello @balaji27, 

Thanks for sharing your question about your apple tree. I suggest having a quick look at this guide - How to diagnose a sick plant by @Noelle.

The tree appears to be in good health and has only been recently struck by an ailment quite recently. It looks like an early infestation of sap sucking insects. However, the other leaves are in good condition and has not been attacked. It also does not appear that the plant is under water stress. Can you please post a photo of the bottom of the leaf that has been affected? 

Can you also please tell us the plants history and what has been happening around it? Have other plants in your garden been showing similar symptoms? Have your neighbour's plants been affected? Any information you can share about your apple tree would be very much appreciated. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @balaji27 

In my opinion, this looks to be a fungal disease - which particular one I would not like to diagnose from a photo but the symptoms look much more disease-like than pest attack.

The symptoms seem to be appearing on leaves attached to potential fruiting spurs so the infection may have occurred at the time of flowering. While it may be too late for control this season, I would strongly recommend you start, and continue with, a fungicide spray program to prevent spread. It is important to maintain a program of this sort so the disease does not carry over from this season to the next via spores.

Read up on apple diseases - there is an abundance of material available online. Try to stick to Australian literature as many of the diseases present overseas are not yet here thanks to our strong biosecurity measures. Maybe read up in particular on fire blight and apple rust.

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric

Thanks again for your prompt response. As mentioned before, I setup my garden recently and these plants are less than 2-3 months old since I planted them. I don't see any issues on my other apple plant (different variety though) and I have Mandarin and lemon plants as well and they seem to be good. Please see the attached pics if that helps.

Thanks 20231124_151915.jpg20231124_151925.jpg20231124_151938.jpg20231124_152014.jpg20231124_152027-1.jpgApple Plant with issueApple Plant with issueOther Apple PlantOther Apple Plant

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Hi Noelle,

Thanks for your respond and insightful advice. Now I can understand as you pointed that infection could have appeared at the time of flowering. Yes, there were lots of white flowers on the plant a few weeks before, but none is seen now. I would check the online information about the fungicide, but would appreciate if you please recommend me a suitable fungicide to fix this issue.

Thanks

Balaji.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @balaji27 

I would recommend using Yates 150g Mancozeb Plus Garden Fungicide And Miticide as it is a 2-in-1. It is a multi-purpose, dual-active formulation combining the benefits of mancozeb and wettable sulphur. Both actives have a contact fungicidal action, helping to control and prevent the entry and spread of a range of common fungal diseases.

Let me tag @Noelle just in case she has another spray treatment in mind.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as appropriate clothing, gloves, goggles and a P2 rated mask. Please make sure to follow all the safety recommendations printed on the back of the container.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Good suggestion @EricL   That covers all bases.

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric - Thanks a lot for your guidance, I bought Yates 150g Mancozeb Plus Garden Fungicide And Miticide now, will apply it.

Thanks and regards

Balaji.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects