Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove a wooden pelmet from the ceiling?

Becshouse
Growing in Experience

How do I remove a wooden pelmet from the ceiling?

Hi All, 

I need to remove the wooden (?) pelmets from my apartment which are attached to the ceiling. Do I simply smack it down with a hammer then smooth the ceiling and paint it? 

Any advice would be greatly received! IMG_3193.jpgIMG_3188.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I remove a wooden pelmet from the ceiling?

Hello @Becshouse

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about removing a wooden pelmet from your ceiling.

Before you attempt to bring hammer to wood, I suggest inspecting the entire run of the pelmet and see if it's fixed in with screws or nails. If you find evidence of screws then you can minimize the disassembly damage. However, if it looks like it's nailed in, I suggest testing a corner first, don't begin your removal in the centre. Just keep in mind to try and minimize the damage so that you won't have to do a great deal of repair. I recommend using a Craftright 380mm Wrecking Bar to pry the pelmet off the ceiling.

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds, @TedBear, and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your ceiling revamp.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Becshouse
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much for the response and wrecking bar recommendation! 

Regarding checking if is held in place with screws or nails, how would I find that out? Is there usually some evidence that they have been painted over or something? Would they have been nailed/screwed in on an angle? Guess I'm trying to work out where on the pelmet itself I should be looking. Its a 1970's/80's brick apartment building.

Unfortunately, I don't take possession until next Thursday so can't check immediately. I'm just trying to get everything ready so I can work on pulling them down next weekend. 

This definitely helps though, thanks for your time! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Becshouse

Just keep an eye out for screw head and nail head depressions in the wood. Unless the builder used filler then we won't be able to tell. Which leaves you no choice but to test disassembly with a hammer.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Becshouse & @EricL ..  just a quick chime in -  it looks like there is a skirting strip running alongside where the pelmet touches the ceiling.

I would suggest that you start by seeing if you can lever that off.   It may be hiding the clues that you need - eg some skew nails, or small brackets?

Becshouse
Growing in Experience

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ok, I have started removing the skirting board and it looks like I’m going to expose some concrete/brick once board and pelmet has been removed. I’ve attached photo of where I’m at now. 

@TedBear , @EricL  would love your advice again. Can I keep going and fill in the brick/concrete myself? I have extra paint etc and can be guided on what to use to fill the gap. Or, do I need to call a professional? Eek! 

Hi @Becshouse I am curious as to @EricL 's views on this,

but zooming in on your photos it looks like you are dealing with a plaster and lathe ceiling and that the "pelmet" may be the support for this end of it, rather than being an optional addition.

I would recommend not going any further and get a ceiling expert in to assess what your best options are.

Try to find an older one, who has had experience with plaster and lathe ceilings. Otherwise you may get a "tear it all down and replace with modern plaster board" approach.  (Easiest for them, expensive for you.)

Although, that may be an option that you are ok with...  is there any character in the room that you want to keep?

Becshouse
Growing in Experience

Hi @TedBear ,

Thanks for your comments. I will try to tap the skirting board back in place, paint over my my scratches and pop it in the too hard basket. Hopefully I haven't done any major damage and the ceiling won't fall down! 

No, no character in the room. It's just a blank lounge room - it's a brick apartment building in Melbourne that was built in the late 70's/early 80's. 

Much appreciated! 

Hi @Becshouse.    Living with it sounds like a wise decision, considering the likely exponential growth of problems from trying to remove it.

Maybe you could hang long, narrow, heavy curtains at each end of the pelmet to give the window area a multi-layered window bay look??

Becshouse
Growing in Experience

Thanks @TedBear 

That’s exactly what I was hoping to achieve by removing the pelmet as I need the sheer layer for all day privacy. 

It’s a small lounge room so need all the length I can get. I was thinking my plan B is to just hang two separate curtain rods - at different heights - behind the pelmet as the double rod holder’s are too long to fit behind there. Straight into the wall on either side of the widow (as close to ceiling as possible) do you think? 
Gosh, all fun and games until the ceiling collapses ha. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects