The Spitfire's Blown Canopy Issue

453=Thornley

453=Thornley

In a normal aircraft, the sides of the cockpit canopy are parallel with the sides of the forward windscreen. A perfect example of this is the Bf109. If you move your head to the side in the Bf109, it hits the canopy and you cannot see forwards around the windscreen or backwards down the side of the aircraft. On the Spitfire though, it featured a 'blown' canopy, that bulges out past sides of the forward windscreen, allowing you to really get your head out to the side and check down and rearwards. In BOX, the Spit IXe is treated like it has a normal, straight canopy.

To demonstrate what I'm talking about, I went and jumped in my genuine Spitfire XVIe (ok, maybe it's not mine but the RAF Museums :( ) and took a couple of photos. I couldn't get my camera into the correct position with the canopy closed, but noting exactly where my point of view was with the canopy closed, I replicated it with the camera with the canopy open. As you can see, you can get your POV well passed the cockpit rim.

It would be really cool if we could get a blown canopy on our Spitfire IXe

Me in the pit

20180605_120241.jpg

View looking forwards

20180605_121439.jpg

Looking backwards. The way the canopy is 'blown' outwards it clearly seen.

20180605_121422.jpg

Edited by Bloodsplatter
  • Thanks 1

Guest deleted@134347
21 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

This is an issue in VR especially.

yup, however the canopy isn't the bother, it's the fact that I can't lean forward and read the darn instruments! ?

-=PHX=-SuperEtendard

Looks like for the MC 202 and Fw 190 there is a limitation as well in which the canopy is wider in the lower sides, but in game you can't make use of this to have a better six o clock check, as the collision model is the same for all heights and adjusted for the narrower part of the upper sides of the canopy

• Upvote 1

We *do* have a blown canopy in our Spit mk.IX, it's just that the player head restrictions do not match the 3d model. I've noticed this too.

Am I the only one who think that the pilot models look a bit small in 109 and spits? Particularly in the spit, the reason that canopy is blown is so y'all can actually turn your head around. Looks like there's room for three in the cockpit at present pilot size...

• 1CGS
2 hours ago, Diggun said:

Am I the only one who think that the pilot models look a bit small in 109 and spits? Particularly in the spit, the reason that canopy is blown is so y'all can actually turn your head around. Looks like there's room for three in the cockpit at present pilot size...

The pilot models are all the same size for every plane.

unreasonable
3 hours ago, Diggun said:

Looks like an illusion:  just wait till we get the American planes with their spacious living rooms on the top floor. Then they really will look small.

• Haha 3

Wolfram-Harms
10 hours ago, moosya said:

yup, however the canopy isn't the bother, it's the fact that I can't lean forward and read the darn instruments! ?

Hmmm... - then you must be either short-sighted, or your seat belts are strapped too tight, Moose ! ;)

8 hours ago, Diggun said:

Looks like there's room for three in the cockpit at present pilot size...

Well, three would be over the top, but sometimes they managed to make it with two - in British planes.
Never try that with the Bf 109! You'll need a special unraveling team after landing!

1172944397_BoBEscapefromFrance.thumb.jpg.2207a1297679044b38550daa504a4629.jpg

4 hours ago, unreasonable said:

Looks like an illusion:  just wait till we get the American planes with their spacious living rooms on the top floor. Then they really will look small.

Yeah, I guess! Didn't they have a fridge with Cola, and a TV as standard equipment?

Kelso.thumb.jpg.1de83084f234249298d390b75907e621.jpg

Edited by Wolfram-Harms

10 hours ago, moosya said:

In the spit V I had to move my default Seating position forward, because it felt like my feet would not reach the rudder peddles. You have to Launch the game without VR, make your adjustments, and press F10 to save, then restart the game with VR and check and see if it is close enough, if not then rinse and repeat.

Instruments much easier to read after I made  the adjustments too. Had to do the same for the P40

Edited by =FEW=Herne

I think it's actually that i'm used to seeing the real deal being flown with bone domes, which do make ones head look bigger.

E3E428A9E87AE372B7E4CEBA5D756D3B.thumb.jpg.c1efe0e8e24c6d4e72c7122e47826652.jpg

(Goodness, what's that second 'plane there? She sure looks lovely. Wouldn't it be nice to have one of those in the sim....)

Edited by Diggun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, =FEW=Herne said:

In the spit V I had to move my default Seating position forward, because it felt like my feet would not reach the rudder peddles. You have to Launch the game without VR, make your adjustments, and press F10 to save, then restart the game with VR and check and see if it is close enough, if not then rinse and repeat.

Instruments much easier to read after I made  the adjustments too. Had to do the same for the P40

Yeah I had to do the same also. Default was definitely too far back for me.

RedKestrel
4 hours ago, Diggun said:

I think it's actuallly that i'm used to seeing the real deal being flown with bone domes, which do make ones head look bigger.

E3E428A9E87AE372B7E4CEBA5D756D3B.thumb.jpg.c1efe0e8e24c6d4e72c7122e47826652.jpg

(Goodness, what's that second 'plane there? She sure looks lovely. Wouldn't it be nice to have one of those in the sim....)

The second plane is obviously photoshopped. It's too beautiful, too right to exist in this fallen world.

/I would spend entirely too much money on a Hurricane collector plane

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

It's too beautiful, too right to exist in this fallen world.

Oh, that dog will never live. He will be snatched up to the bright skies in a chariot, that is what will happen to him....

I think I'll call my Hurricane 'Montmorency'....

Wolfram-Harms
7 hours ago, Diggun said:

Goodness, what's that second 'plane there? She sure looks lovely.

Yeah, the old lady was not hot-blooded like the Spitfire, which was kinda Light Brigade -

the workhorses of the RAF were Heavy Horses - those battle horses won the Battle of Britain. No less...

• Like 1