Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ahboyd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Perhaps, the biggest design controversial of the M1 iMac is the white bezel. So, I did a quick mock up (on iOS Keynote) to see how it would look like.
B64B3F3C-52FC-45CA-B769-B0086001205F.jpeg
D2AEB7BB-81B8-4935-8F50-58773D5BD9FD.jpeg

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Nothing controversial about the off white bezel of the 2021 M1 iMac. It looks good, and I reckon is fine for most folks.

Pro types would be better off going with an M1 Mac Mini, paired their choice of monitor for their purposes.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I'll be honest, when I saw the keynote I didn't like it. But after having thought about it a little more, I bought one and I kinda dig the off-white bezels. They blend into my wall, and they give it a lighter presence on the desk in my living room.

Reactions: RUQRU and Micky Do

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I think white bezels look great compared to black bezels given the overall design and colors. Makes the computer also a piece of art. White also makes things feel larger, so it probably helps give the impression of a bigger screen than it actually has.

Reactions: Micky Do

SamboSoul

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2020
I'll be honest, when I saw the keynote I didn't like it. But after having thought about it a little more, I bought one and I kinda dig the off-white bezels. They blend into my wall, and they give it a lighter presence on the desk in my living room.
same here. Went to my local Apple Store the other day for a second time to Play around with the silver iMac and I actually do like the white bezels now. It fits my overall apartment design and my iMac will sit on a black desk against a white wall so it should blend in very well.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Didn’t take me but a minute to like having a less wide off white bezel sitting on a table in the Apple Store. Even with no walls close it was actually easier on the eyes.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Pro types would be better off going with an M1 Mac Mini, paired their choice of monitor for their purposes.

Pro types would be better off waiting for the 5k iMac replacement (or, equally, a replacement for the i5 and i7 Minis) with (hopefully) more cores, better GPU and larger RAM options - and, somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if those include some modern equivalent of "Space Grey".

Nope. The black bezels just look wrong on the colours. It looks too stark and sterile. I already played around with this and it just reaffirms what I thought then.
Yeah, I don't think that sticking black bezels on the existing design (except, maybe, the silver version) really solves anything (the words "lipstick" and "pig" spring to mind). The problem is (a) having any non-neutral colours on the front distracting/clashing with what is on the screen and (b) any colour divide between the chin and the bezel (admittedly that was there on the old design, but at least then the second colour was neutral silver/grey).

n't be long until someone comes up with a black overlay decal you can apply.

A full black (well, some sort of dark textured finish) skin for the iMac showed up on Linus Tech Tips a month or two back - I'd link to it but searching for "iMac" and then sorting the results by date is apparently above YouTube's pay grade. Anyway - an all-black (ish) iMac looked really good from a distance, but in the close-ups it looked like someone had covered an iMac in black sticky-backed plastic (UK readers of a certain age will get the reference...) Plus it cost some ridiculous amount of money.

Whatever, if I want pretty colours on my computer I'll display them on the screen and it's the rest of the computer's job to stay the heck out of my perception. Nothing does that quite like black.

Reactions: Moonjumper

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
A full black (well, some sort of dark textured finish) skin for the iMac showed up on Linus Tech Tips a month or two back - I'd link to it but searching for "iMac" and then sorting the results by date is apparently above YouTube's pay grade. Anyway - an all-black (ish) iMac looked really good from a distance, but in the close-ups it looked like someone had covered an iMac in black sticky-backed plastic (UK readers of a certain age will get the reference...) Plus it cost some ridiculous amount of money.
That was https://dbrand.com/shop/apple-imac-24-2021
As is standard for dBrand skins, the bezel covers are made from 3M vinyl, which the company says are easy to apply and leave no residue if you ever remove them. The matte black bezel skin costs $49.95, with free shipping.

If you wished Apple made a completely matte black iMac, then the company can make that wish come true too – at a price! $59.95 gets you a skin to cover the color on the front as well as the bezels. But if you also want to cover the back, sides and stand, you’re looking at an eye-watering $499.95.
Everything is discontinued. It was more or less a novelty or joke if someone wanted that. :)

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
I was initially in the "hell no" camp, fast forward to today I no longer have the slightest interest in a black bezel iMac and totally engrossed in my retro Yellow. In the near future I plan to just shove it back in the box for keeps and pick up yet another color with an off-white bezel.

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
Everyone can make the chin and the bezels however they like. I guess we’ll see tons of skins for the new imacs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.