Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2009, 08:16 PM   #1
pjf
Premium Member

Freshwater Skimming Filter

I’m looking for a freshwater filter that can skim the surface water. What choices do I have besides the Subcurrent by Current USA (http://www.current-usa.com/subcurrent.html)?

The Subcurrent is located inside the tank and takes up too much room. I know that there are freshwater skimmers, such as the Schuran Jetskim 150, but they require an overflow and a sump. I’m trying to find an HOB or HOT freshwater filter with a surface skimmer.

pjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2009, 09:20 PM   #2
expat701
Registered Member

I'm confused by your post... Are you looking for a Freshwater surface skimmer or a Freshwater Protein Skimmer???

If it's a Freshwater filter than can skim surface water look at Eheim. They have a surface skimmer attachment for their canister filters.

Hagen also have a surface skimmer attachment for Fluval canister filters.

But if you want a Freshwater Protein Skimmer only Schuran and Sander make these. Here is a link that has both company's Freshwater Skimmer models on the same page:

http://www.koicarp.net/filtration/pr...an_sander.html

--Wayne

expat701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2009, 09:30 PM   #3
pjf
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by expat701
I'm confused by your post... Are you looking for a Freshwater surface skimmer or a Freshwater Protein Skimmer???
I don't care so long as it has a one-piece internal or HOB (ideal) configuration with a surface skimmer. I do not want an overflow, a sump, or hoses leading to a canister. Any leads will be appreciated. Thanks!

Unread 01/12/2009, 09:42 PM   #4
johnstringer
Registered Member

Both Fluval and Aqua Clear make a surface skimmer for their filters. You may be stuck with a canister if you go the Fluval route (Manufacturer Part #:A240), or a HOB if you go the Aqua Clear(Manufacturer Part #:A1006) route. But both make what I think you are looking for.

John

johnstringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2009, 08:03 AM   #5
pjf
Premium Member

I see. I can attach an A1006 surface skimmer to an Aqua Clear power filter. This will give me a HOB filter with a surface skimmer.

Which do you think is better: the Subcurrent or the Aqua Clear w/skimmer?

Unread 01/14/2009, 05:25 AM   #6
troyman
Registered Member

freash water doesnt work with skimmers

troyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2009, 08:00 AM   #7
rush07
Registered Member

I tried the SubCurrent and I liked it except for one issue. It acts like a sump in the fact that the water level drop due to evaporation shows up in the filter. The tank level will not change but the water level in the filter will decrease due to evaporation. This would not be an issue except the water volume is so small in the filter that I had to top off the water twice a day. I am gone with work a night or two for work occasionally and if I forgot to unplug it it would run dry and fill the tank with microbubbles. In general, I thought it filtered well but I could not deal with the constant top offs required to keep it running.

Tell you what. Let me look for mine and if I can find it (I recently moved and I don't know where half my stuff is), you can buy it for much less than a new one. I will PM you if I have it. It was only in my tank for about a week and I did not use the mini bioballs or charcoal so they are still in the plastic bags. I will let you know.

rush07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2009, 08:11 AM   #8
Snausy
Registered Member

You could set up an auto top-off on it maybe...but that sounds like a huge pain in the you-know-what.

Current Tank Info: 300gal FOWLR- Emperor Angel, Rainbow Wrasse, Green Bird Wrasse, Dogface Puffer, Niger Trigger, Flame Hawkfish, Matted Filefish 150 Turbosnails that only come out at night! :D
Snausy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2009, 08:23 PM   #9
pjf
Premium Member

Here are two alternative freshwater surface skimmers that I am looking at. One is a power filter with a built-in surface skimmer. The other is a surface extractor attachment for a canister filter. I'd appreciate your comments.

The Bio System 15 power filter with surface skimmer is made by Imagine and is available from Marine Depot and Drs. Foster & Smith.

The surface extractor attachment is made by Eheim. If I purchase it, I would attach it to the Eheim ECCO 2232 canister. I would also use magnets instead of the suction cups to mount it.

Unread 05/05/2010, 08:19 PM   #10
scubasteve06
Jeeper Reefer

I have been debating this same thing. I have a 125 that I am currently setting up with 60 pounds of live rock and 40 pounds of live sand. I am debating on getting a cheap HOB filter and a decent skimmer, or a good canister and a decent skimmer, or saying screw a filter completely and spending all the money on the skimmer and get a quality one. My question is with a good 150 gallon rated skimmer, 40 pounds of live sand, and 60 pounds of live rock will it be enough for 4-5 fish and some corals? I will be using a 2x54 48" T5 fixture for now also. ANd then I saw those filters with the built in skimmers that drs.fosterandsmith sells so what do you guys think the best path is?

scubasteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote