Spitfire canopy types

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wirbelwind

Airman
Sep 8, 2009
It's my understanding that the very first type of canopy fitted on the Spitfire was "straight edged" where both the top and sides were completely straight or flat. This was quickly modified to what I think was called a "blown canopy" where the sides were still flat, but the top was curved, as seen in this photo: Stock Photo - Photographer takes pictures of a Supermarine Spitfire P9374 at The Imperial War Museum in Duxford, Cambridgeshire

The next modification to the canopy was the "Malcolm Hood" where both the top and sides were curved, as seen in this photo: https://i.pinimg.com/474x/94/e4/26/94e4265972b7bd0abac13a6d451bd5e4--canopy-frame-the-canopy.jpg

I have a couple of questions regarding the above:
  1. First off, is all of the above correct?
  2. Is the blown canopy different than the Malcolm Hood or are they both the same thing?
  3. Which mark of Spitfire was the first to have the Malcolm Hood (the canopy with the curved top and sides)?
With regards to question #3, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could provide me with at least two sources to back up any information on when the Malcolm Hood was first fitted to the Spitfire.

Here are two shots of the early type used for the K5054 prototype and the early Mk.I K9787. As you may notice the cockpit hood was made of an arched one piece of Perspex. As a result the sides were flat with rounded top. However, the top line of the canopy was a straight line. So the term "straight edged " is regarding the top line of the hood when looking at it from a side..

spit prototype1.jpg
spit canopy1.jpg

The cockpit of Spitfire was very tight and pilots of just posture eg. tall guys, had problem with the slided back hood that limited head movement around that was the basic action during a flight. Therefore very soon the new hood was designed by the R Malcolm & Co . The "blown canopy" or more correctly, bulged one was introduced from the second batch of Mk.I . You may have a look at the well know images of no.19 Squadron RAF Spitfires Mk.Is in Duxford in 1938. The Spitfire in the foreground has the new canopy already installed. while the second one coded WZ-C has still the earlier one attached. Then the third and fourth planes have the new hood attached while the fifth one has the old one.
Please make a focus on the canopy of the foreground Spit. Although the sides still seem to be flat the top line is curved and the entire top is bulged also towards the sides. That modification gave more of room under the canopy for tall pilots and decreased the limitation on the head moving. The kind of the cockpit canopy was used untill the Mk.V was introduced. Since October 1941 a spherical "bubble shape " Malcolm Hood was introduced. It was the blown canopy type which have curved sides as well as a curved top. But the Mk.Vs with the early style windscreen still had the previous type of canopy because the sliding hoods weren't interchangeable between aircraft with different windscreens. However a couple of pics I have seen , seem to contradict that.

Spitfire_MkI_19sqn.jpg

I thought the term "Malcolm hood" was used when fitted to a plane that wasn't a Spitfire, as a simple description. There were lots of different types, all very similar and made by Malcolm.

Here are two shots of the early type used for the K5054 prototype and the early Mk.I K9787. As you may notice the cockpit hood was made of an arched one piece of Perspex. As a result the sides were flat with rounded top. However, the top line of the canopy was a straight line. So the term "straight edged " is regarding the top line of the hood when looking at it from a side..

View attachment 541082View attachment 541083

The cockpit of Spitfire was very tight and pilots of just posture eg. tall guys, had problem with the slided back hood that limited head movement around that was the basic action during a flight. Therefore very soon the new hood was designed by the R Malcolm & Co . The "blown canopy" or more correctly, bulged one was introduced from the second batch of Mk.I . You may have a look at the well know images of no.19 Squadron RAF Spitfires Mk.Is in Duxford in 1938. The Spitfire in the foreground has the new canopy already installed. while the second one coded WZ-C has still the earlier one attached. Then the third and fourth planes have the new hood attached while the fifth one has the old one.
Please make a focus on the canopy of the foreground Spit. Although the sides still seem to be flat the top line is curved and the entire top is bulged also towards the sides. That modification gave more of room under the canopy for tall pilots and decreased the limitation on the head moving. The kind of the cockpit canopy was used untill the Mk.V was introduced. Since October 1941 a spherical "bubble shape " Malcolm Hood was introduced. It was the blown canopy type which have curved sides as well as a curved top. But the Mk.Vs with the early style windscreen still had the previous type of canopy because the sliding hoods weren't interchangeable between aircraft with different windscreens. However a couple of pics I have seen , seem to contradict that.

View attachment 541084

Thanks Wurger.

Do you have any sources confirming that the spherical canopy was introduced in October 1941? I trust you, but my colleagues insist on having sources to back everything up. :)

As memo serves it was stated in Mushroom Model Magazine for Spitfire Mk.V. But I would have to check if you insist.

As memo serves it was stated in Mushroom Model Magazine for Spitfire Mk.V. But I would have to check if you insist.

That would be a great help.

I know that what you're saying is correct, but I've been having a hard time convincing my colleagues. We're 3d modellers and our current line of Mk.1 Spits have spherical canopies which is incorrect, because as you said, this didn't appear until Oct 1941 and the canopies aren't readily interchangeable. They've said that sources are required in order for them to make the correction.

Last edited:
OK. I have found that info there. So the Mushroom Model Magazine No.6111 page 10. The info appears while depicting the Mk.Vb

Malcolmhood.jpg

and page 77 ...

Malcolmhood1.jpg

Thanks again Wurger. Passing that on to my colleagues in the hopes that they will make the corrections.

Bugs me to see Mark 1 Spitfires modelled incorrectly with Malcolm hoods.

Last edited:
I see. But I have to say that's the term " Malcolm Hood" can be used for the Mk.I to Mk.V Spits too. The difference is that the early hood had the bulged top only while the later one also the sides. In other words we can say that the bubble hood is nothing more but an improvement of the earlier bulged one.

It is on Supermarine"s drawings about Mk VI & up canopies, we can read "R.MALCOM.LTD SLOUGH. BUCKS." and "Type: LOBELLE SLIDING HOOD"
On earlier drawings there is only "sliding hood"(flat side) or "balloon type sliding hood". There is no mention that is Malcom which made the Mk I II canopies.
the early hood models had the height of forward frame identical to rear frame; Lobelle type had forward frame higher than rear frame and could be single or double glaze(for pressure cabin)
Malcom hood would be generic term to call all balloon type sliding canopies, extended to previous canopies?

Malcom hood would be generic term to call all balloon type sliding canopies, extended to previous canopies?

IMHO yes it was extended in that way. What is more , it seems the Lobelle-type canopy was called in the way because of the designer. It was Mr, Lobelle who worked at Malcolms. The similar way of naming you may find at the WW1 era with a couple of Fokker planes that actually weren't designed by Anthony Fokker but by Reinholda Platza for instance.

We don't talk about the PRU Spitfires. To be honest it was the same like the early bulged one with flat sides. Just there were attached the blisters. The main difference in the appearance was the windscreen.

Please note that the "Lobelle" type refers to the pressurised type of canopy used on Mk.VI and VII, AFAIK. these had different rails and the whole cockpit was airtight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back