Elephant Scutus question?

andijo81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 4 Elephant Scutus this past summer, and drove 1.5 hours each way to get them. I was told they breed readily in the aquarium. Month's and month's go by and NADA. I was complaining to my boyfriend about it and he asked "Well, how do they breed?" Good question:) So I did some research and found... NADA. I read articles that said they don't breed in aquariums:( Well, I was bummed. The next week or so I saw a baby. Then 2 more... and another and another:) I absolutely love these guy's. I am a sucker for nudi's even to the detriment of my tank's occupants. I haven't put one in a long time. I learned my lesson that they're not viable and I don't know what they eat or proper husbandry. Then I got my Elephant's♥ Not sure why they're called that. They have all the movement and beauty of a nudi w/o as much risk. Their sides ripple in the water and give the look of satin sheets in the wind. I still have the initial 4, which are around 3+" long x 1+" wide. I've heard that they eat coral but have not experienced it myself. They are truly a unique treat. This all being said, I still have no clue as to how they reproduce. Does anyone else have any experience or knowledge to share on them?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever seen snails like Stomatellid or Turbo release eggs and sperm into the water column? Scutus reproduce in the same way. I've seen Stomatella all climb to the tops of the rocks and they all do it at once. I've seen Turbo snails climb to the highest most point in the tank and squirt eggs or sperm for 30 minutes and really cloud up the tank. There are males and females so you need at least two. They usually do it during the full moon at around midnight (ish). They are more likely to do it during the months of March and April and September and October. Yes, it still amazes me that the critters in our tanks still can (feel) the tides.

I guess you missed this behavior because you're not watching your tank at midnight during the full moons.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of a turbo standing on its tip toes and shooting eggs. It was night so I turned on a UV light.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 125 75.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back