SAU Community

External Wastegate Setup With Ebc! Gate Not Working :s

Hi

I'm running a hks wastegate and blitz ebc id-3.

Just want to make sure i have setup everything correctly.

I setup everything following the blitz manual http://www.nengun.com/doc/nengun-0317-0018..._i-d_manual.pdf

Because my hks turbo didn't have a nipple on it , i tapped one onto the I/C piping just before the turbo inlet. So i run the lower outlet of the wastegate to that nipple. then the top outlet to my EBC OUT and then run the EBC IN line to the back of my plenum (gtr plenum)

However when i drive the car with the ebc off, the car hits 7psi of boost and the wastegate opens but its like it only half opens and just leaks and the car loses all power. even with the ebc no matter what i set the boost at it just does the same thing.

Have i setup everything right ? or is the wastegate spring f**ked?

Cheers

Edited by Kaido_RR

Hi

I'm running a hks wastegate and blitz ebc id-3.

Just want to make sure i have setup everything correctly.

I setup everything following the blitz manual http://www.nengun.com/doc/nengun-0317-0018..._i-d_manual.pdf

Because my hks turbo didn't have a nipple on it , i tapped one onto the I/C piping just before the turbo inlet. So i run the lower outlet of the wastegate to that nipple. then the top outlet to my EBC OUT and then run the EBC IN line to the back of my plenum (gtr plenum)

However when i drive the car with the ebc off, the car hits 7psi of boost and the wastegate opens but its like it only half opens and just leaks and the car loses all power. even with the ebc no matter what i set the boost at it just does the same thing.

Have i setup everything right ? or is the wastegate spring f**ked?

Cheers

im guessing you meant, outlet?

i should be plumbed as per my attached pic. Make sure the controller is set to WG not AC.

post-34927-1268398394_thumb.jpg

im guessing you meant, outlet?

i should be plumbed as per my attached pic. Make sure the controller is set to WG not AC.

yeah outlet (just after the turbo outlet, the 1st i/c pipe).

Its setup as the pic, sent the ebc to WG and still get the pulsing issue, i disconnect the EBC and ran just the gate and had the same issue, i think it May be to do with my AFM as atm its connected directly to my turbo (no intake pipe) will see what happens once i install my intake pipe

The "IN" line for the ebc is T off to the same point were the controller gets its boost reading from (rear of the gtr plenum)

Edited by Kaido_RR

check the boost limiter setting in the EBC make sure it is well above the set boost and turn the gain down to 15, duty should be be somewhere in the region of 30-35 for starters.

Hey,

I'm having issue with my new setup (Rb25 3037). Im running a HKS wastegate (not sure what spring but i assume its 7psi as that is what the car is currently boosting too). I am running a blitz sbc id-3 boost controller. I have setup the the lines following the blitz manual. My ebc was previous setup for internal gate 2835 running 18psi so i have turn it off for now until i get time for a retune.

Now the issue i have is the car will boost to 7psi, hold boost but the gate will not open, sometimes the gate will half open (sounds like an exhaust leak) for few seconds then shut again. I have try disconnected the ebc and just running the gate same issue, try running no lines connect to the gate same issue. try running with the ebc turn on and set for 18psi same again.

anyone got any idea?

Is it possible that the gate is broken? (is there some way to test it) Or that the spring is too weak ? I plan on running 18 or 20 psi but also want to be able to drop the boost to 14-16psi

Try it this way without controller, this is a full mechanical setup. Make sure the bolt in the top op the gate is not too tight either as it sets preload on the gate spring. The tighter it is the higher the base pressure and if you go too (with too long a bolt) far it jams the gate shut.

post-34927-1268702939_thumb.jpg

Try it this way without controller, this is a full mechanical setup. Make sure the bolt in the top op the gate is not too tight either as it sets preload on the gate spring. The tighter it is the higher the base pressure and if you go too (with too long a bolt) far it jams the gate shut.

thanks, i give that a try when i get home tonight. Is it ok if that line has a t on it (as i use it for my boost gauge and ebc boost reading)

thanks, i give that a try when i get home tonight. Is it ok if that line has a t on it (as i use it for my boost gauge and ebc boost reading)

it is but if it is leaking in cabin it can introduce other isues. If you are having dramas the best way to eliminate the gate from the equation is to have a clean boost source to it.

ok try this... still does the same thing. Sometimes the gate will half open and pulse for a few seconds then shut, other times it won't even half open and just boost to 7-8psi and holds shut.

The Hks gate has a allen key bolt on the top, it was tight but not super tight, if i try to loosen it, just goes way to lose.

So does this mean my gate is stuffed?

edit: this is were im connecting the hose to on the 26 plenum

img4595p.jpg

Edited by Kaido_RR

ok try this... still does the same thing. Sometimes the gate will half open and pulse for a few seconds then shut, other times it won't even half open and just boost to 7-8psi and holds shut.

The Hks gate has a allen key bolt on the top, it was tight but not super tight, if i try to loosen it, just goes way to lose.

So does this mean my gate is stuffed?

edit: this is were im connecting the hose to on the 26 plenum

img4595p.jpg

so it holds boost 7-8psi? or it randomly over boosts? because if it isnt going over 8psi then its working. That nipple on the plenum is too small too, you should be using the far back one under the plenum (near clutch master but under)

post-34927-1268733434_thumb.jpg

so it holds boost 7-8psi? or it randomly over boosts? because if it isnt going over 8psi then its working. That nipple on the plenum is too small too, you should be using the far back one under the plenum (near clutch master but under)

yeah holds boost fine all the way to redline, no spiking or overboost just 7-8psi firm. Just the gate does not open lol

I just try using my bov line (which connects under the plenum like you suggested) same deal.

Also not sure if this would affect it but i have twin gtr bov setup. the return line to the bov is not connect (so just open pipe) i have disconnected the vacuum lines to the bov, but not sure if they may be leaking under the pressure?

Edited by Kaido_RR

yeah holds boost fine all the way to redline, no spiking or overboost just 7-8psi firm. Just the gate does not open lol

I just try using my bov line (which connects under the plenum like you suggested) same deal.

Also not sure if this would affect it but i have twin gtr bov setup. the return line to the bov is not connect (so just open pipe) i have disconnected the vacuum lines to the bov, but not sure if they may be leaking under the pressure?

BINGO :blush: make sure you use the correct port too as the GTR has 3 ports under the plenum near the oil filter.

If the gate is no good the boost would go off the gauge if it was hooked up the way i posted earlier so at least you know the gate is ok. Plump up your bov vacuum boost line to the correct port and i reckon you will be on track.

BINGO :blush: make sure you use the correct port too as the GTR has 3 ports under the plenum near the oil filter.

If the gate is no good the boost would go off the gauge if it was hooked up the way i posted earlier so at least you know the gate is ok. Plump up your bov vacuum boost line to the correct port and i reckon you will be on track.

yes...the BOV needs pressure fed to the top to hold it shut...boost is forcing it open without this restricting the boost level.

BINGO :yes: make sure you use the correct port too as the GTR has 3 ports under the plenum near the oil filter.

THANKYOU! it is now working and holding perfect at 14psi :blush: